License Plate Mount Question

RedLdr1

Contributing Member
Reaction score
I finally received my license plate and mounted it yesterday. I discovered that with the OEM mounts the plate screws cannot be tightened enough for the plate not to fairly easily slide back and forth from the left to right side of the bracket. It feels tight, won't go any tighter, and does not feel like it is going to fall off anytime soon... Anyone else have the "slip sliding away" license plate mount?

I didn't like the plastic nuts on my license plate mount so what I did was remove the plastic nuts and inserted some bolts from the backside of the plate, using nuts on the front side along with red loctite. I then attached the license plate to the protruding bolts using chrome acorn nuts. The plate is much more secure and the install looks a lot better.

Mufflers_02.jpg

(click on photo to see full-size image.)

I didn't like the plastic nuts on my license plate mount so what I did was remove the plastic nuts and inserted some bolts from the backside of the plate, using nuts on the front side along with red loctite. I then attached the license plate to the protruding bolts using chrome acorn nuts. The plate is much more secure and the install looks a lot better.

Mufflers_02.jpg

John, I do like that much better. Might have to be a copy cat here!:D

I thought that was the case, thanks everyone for the confirmation!

I will probably go with the chrome acorn nut solution when I have to pull the plate off in September. Right now I have the plastic snap on chrome covers over the stock bolts and while it doesn't look bad the Chromed Acorns would look better...and they won't turn white after a few months in the sun!

John....so, you took the stock license plate holder w/red reflector off? I like the looks of your setup.

Mufflers_02.jpg

John....so, you took the stock license plate holder w/red reflector off? I like the looks of your setup.

Barbara,

I took it off long enough to remove the reflector, take out the plastic nuts, and put in my own bolts. I then put it right back on the bike.

I guess I'm the only one that doesn't have that problem. Never did on any bike. Plates were always tight and never moved. Were the bolts you have shoulder bolts by any chance? I can't figure out why you can't tighten them enough.

I also like the reflectors. The more lights and reflectors I can get on the rear end the better.
The best thing I ever bought was Hyper-Lites. Wouldn't own a bike without them.

GARYD;115874 Were the bolts you have shoulder bolts by any chance? [/QUOTE said:
No, just an odd version of an Allen head machine screw. I say "odd" as it is an Allen head bolt with a slight taper like a screw...

The are tight now, but I suspect the plastic inserts would probably still slide in the grooves even if I tightened them down with an air wrench... If I don't replace the OEM bolts in September I'll use a little 3M Red body molding tape and stick the plate in place...then screw it down. Nothing will move with a half inch or so per side of that stuff...

Cleaned my bike this weekend, I remembered this thread and checked the plate. I was wrong, Yes it does move back and forth - with a little effort I was able to move it. I doubt it moves at all while riding, it's not that loose.

I took all that off and mounted a kury akyn plate holder..Its curved...You have to go to there site to see it..

Ditto, my plate slides too - Dealer gave me two more of those white plastic thingys and same thing - snugged the bolts but still slides - just check it everytime I go in the trunk until a better fix comes along....

I guess I'm the only one that doesn't have that problem. Never did on any bike. Plates were always tight and never moved. Were the bolts you have shoulder bolts by any chance? I can't figure out why you can't tighten them enough.

I also like the reflectors. The more lights and reflectors I can get on the rear end the better.
The best thing I ever bought was Hyper-Lites. Wouldn't own a bike without them.

Mine too were loose, and I can tell you why they cannot be tightened, in my case anyway: when you find a screw or bolt long enough to get a bite in the plastic "nut", it hits the trunk door before it tightens up.

Looks like some great solutions here. I cobbled together some odds and ends I found at Auto Zone to finally make it secure.

Not surprisingly, my dealer wouldn't acknowledge the problem!

CAN’T GET MY LP COVER OFF

How does one remove the license plate bracket on the trunk? I’ve been turning the allen screw bolts forever, nothing seems to loosen up. Do you have to go inside the trunk? Help, new owner trying to put new plates on.

How does one remove the license plate bracket on the trunk? I’ve been turning the allen screw bolts forever, nothing seems to loosen up. Do you have to go inside the trunk? Help, new owner trying to put new plates on.

Probably apples to oranges here, if it’s anything like the triglide trunk door the inside of the door there is a panel with four screws take it off and then you can get to the license plate screws..

Mufflers_02.jpg

Looks great!

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png