Harley warranty and trailer hitches

CSM

Jan 12, 2012
DFW Texas
I was about to order a trailer to pull behind my trike, I called my dealership and ask them about installing a hitch and the wiring. My Service manager told me he could "not" install a hitch because, according to Harley it will void the warranty. I do trust my Service manager, but has any one else ever heard of that? It seems Harley will sometimes go to to great lengths to void a warranty...but....this is pretty "STUPID"

any input would be appreciated

Yes, it is stupid. And yes, it is true. From my understanding, some local dealerships WILL put a hitch on. And they WILL still cover trike. But if you travel, then all bets are off at individual H-D's. And if the factory gets wind (errant Service Managers reporting it), then the computer overlords take over and blacklist your bike. At least for engine/tranny. I can't say about radio, etc. But I wouldn't put it past them. If it isn't a Tri-Glide, just the act of adding a trike kit does the same.

Just a comment from the peanut gallery,, but that's insane! Trikes are made for pulling small trailers and HD says it will void the warranty???? pffffttttt :mad:

Just remember, the dealer must prove that an added accessory caused your problem. They have the burden of proof.

True enough ...BUT...
if you are on the road and broke down...not enough $$$ to make the needed repair....who's going to win right then? My guess is probably NOT the rider

Same holds true for Honda.
Now here is something I have never been able to understand.
Major Honda dealers who also install tike kits,receive their allotment of brand new bikes with 0 miles on them and install a trike kit and sell them as brand new trike in the $35,000-$38,000 price range.Are their customers paying that much money for a new trike without a warranty ? Most of the Honda based kits also come with a trailer hitch and that is another no no with Honda.
If one of these trikes show up at a non-trike kit installing dealer for warranty work,they will black-ball that bike in the computer.
If putting a trailer hitch on a Harley would void the warrany,what about all the other after-market goodies and safety chrome we put on our bikes that dealers sell us ?
I think if Harley made the hitch to sell us,it most likely would not void any warranty.
Just some questions,I don't understand.
Sonny

Harley Dealers will tell you that it voids the warranty, but that isn't exactly true. The MoCo would have to prove a Nexus between the installation and or the towing of a trailer in order to not have to live up to the legal obligation.

THE EXTENDED SERVICE PLAN is a whole different thing. It plainly spells out that the installation of a hitch voids the agreement.

Now you guys have me wondering! I bought my trike from someone that did have the Extended Warranty and a trailer hitch on it, even though it has never been used. I transfer the warranty and have had warranty work done.

Most times any addition not OK'd by the manufactuer can void at least a part of the warranty. The Magnuson-Moss act says (for this discussion) that if a fault is not related to a non covered accessory the whole warranty can't be voided. Example is a trailer hitch. It is assumed if you have a hitch you pull a trailer, which puts extra strain on the drivetrain that it wasn't designed for. If something happens to the drivetrain, the presence of a hitch voids the warranty for the drivetrtain - but say if the radio quits the warranty on that is valid, as the radio isn't affected by the hitch.

c0mmon sense would win if the owner of a trike or bike would realize that dragging an additional 400 lbs or more behind a bike might affect handling,durability ,performence,and warranty.trailers on bikes ,not a good safety idea.

I have pull trailers all over the lower 48 and Canada with no problem. I would rather pull a trailer with a 15 to 20 pound tounge weight that load down a bike with all the luggage for a trip. I have a trailer hitch on my bike (no trailer at this time) and just had some warranty work done and it was covered.

I have pull trailers all over the lower 48 and Canada with no problem. I would rather pull a trailer with a 15 to 20 pound tounge weight that load down a bike with all the luggage for a trip. I have a trailer hitch on my bike (no trailer at this time) and just had some warranty work done and it was covered.

What was the warranty work that you had done??

Warranty, schmarranty, are you going to let someone tell you what you can do with your own bike? I've been pulling a Bushtec trailer since I got my trike in '09. I have to physically turn my head and look over my shoulder when traveling down the road to make sure it's still following me - it's that unnoticeable.

I drove into the dealership shortly after I put the hitch on and the service manager spotted it right away. He got down on his knees and looked under the bike and said "You put a hitch on, huh?" I replied "Yep. What do you think Harley put those two big pieces of flat iron under the box for anyway, if not for a hitch?" His answer was "$hit, I don't know".

I bought this rig to enjoy it. I'm not waiting 2 or 5 years for the warranty to expire. At the end of your life you don't get those years back, you know?

I agree, I have done both. I have done long distance rides 48 low and upper north riding two up and loaded my ultra more than most would believe and have towed with the same ultra with a very light tounge of about 20 lbs. Towing was a much easier and less fatiguing ride that only cost a few miles per tank.

I broke down a few times, stater went on me two or three times and oil pump with cam chains come to mind and well over those 100K miles I was way ahead of the cost for the service plan and more than once I had my trailer with me and the ball hanging proud. Never once had a warranty or service problem, but that was then (2003-2009) and since my purchase of my 2012 TG I have seen a swift and negitive trend torward loyal and lifetime customers from HD HQ and it's dealers. It seems they are quick to ring the bell and clap at every new harley purchase but will look the other way when a ligitament complaint about the bike they sell comes their way. Shame on them that practice deceit.

I have two trailers, a cargo that the push wheelchair pops into and also a camper that the wheelchair rides on top of and that is heavier and bigger beast, but it is only in tow until we reach where we are camping. We have more physical challenges now and haven't camped in 3 years (time flies).

Due to those same increasing challenges we have a tounge W/O Ball on our trike and are soon getting the verticle manual wheelchair carrier. So we won't have a ball or any wheels in tow behind us any more. Not sure what the new sold out HD corp and it's dealers will say about this. How about those folks that have a cooler on the tounge?

I guess I'll have to keep a picture of the wheelchair carrier with the wheelchair strapped on with my warranty a service plan along with my handicap plate to show I don't tow a trailer with the hitch tounge. Maybe a desk jock from HD HQ will write in and state how HD and or extended service will handle this situation.

chappy

Something else to think about. Your local Harley Service Manager doesn't have the authority to approve all warranty work. A blown engine for instance must be OK'd by the MoCo... ditto starters. He may tell you he will honor the warranty, the local dealer may dig into it's own pockets... I doubt it, but if it isn't in writing, it isn't true. Just watch Judge Judy!!

Something else to think about. Your local Harley Service Manager doesn't have the authority to approve all warranty work. A blown engine for instance must be OK'd by the MoCo... ditto starters. He may tell you he will honor the warranty, the local dealer may dig into it's own pockets... I doubt it, but if it isn't in writing, it isn't true. Just watch Judge Judy!!

I hear ya there!,
It's just I'm very disappointed that after 10 years of youthful wishing I owned a Harley Davidson and 40 years of giving my loyalty to only Harley Davidson has only earned me the right to be a numbered consumer. I get treated with more respect at the Local Recycle Center than I do that the Harley Cycle Center!
I'm not done with mother moco, nope, not yet. However, I really wish the desk jocky supervisor I spoke with would at least convincingly speak as though he had spent some time in the saddle in his life. Still can't believe that a supervising customer service rep at HD moco would or even could say to me that my fairing only seems tweaked because I'm not sitting on the seat straight. That's just plain blood boiling. The day before yesterday, Friday he said he'd get back to me this coming Wednesday. I'll let you know what kind of stuff he slings my way then.
Sometimes I feel like I have out lived my circle of normal and I don't much like this, "Welcome to the New Normal!", attitude that has become the usual.
Just got back from a putt before the rain came down, my kind of day. lol

Last edited:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png