oil cooler is leaking

Nov 29, 2010
Loveland, Colorado
Just got back from a 600 mile trip to southwest Colorado. Pulled into the garage and noticed a new oil leak on the floor. After cleaning up the spot and placing the trike where it normally sits, a new drop or 2 reappeared on the floor. Looks like its the oil cooler area. Too far forward for any engine leak. Dont know yet if its a hose, clamp, or maybe the entire cooler but may be better than an engine leak of some kind. Anyone else ever had a leaky cooler?

Yep...It is prob the gasket on the cooler...Mine did that also and they replaced the gasket under warranty.. No leaks since,,They told me it was a common thing on the 2011 models. Take it in and have 'em check it.

The gasket leaking and at times the whole adapter for the cooler warping has been a continuing problem for HD's oil cooler. Last year my dads developed a leak, pulled it apart cleaned things up installed a new gasket and torqued it to spec. It laster a few weeks and started leaking again, ended up replacing the whole adapter which took care of the problem. But right now I have been watching his again because it looked like it may be starting to leak again this year. If it does I'll be replacing it with the Jagg adapter the next time, I have a brand new one just setting on the shelf in case.

We had a leak with an add on oil cooler made by eagle one. is yours a factory installed cooler or an add on? On this one we found a small bolt behind the temp gauge leaking. Took it apart added teflon tape and reassembled and no more leak. No tape or dope from the factory.

when reinstalling the hoses use NAPA high tack sealant on the fittings, let the sealant get tacky before slideing the hose on & use new hose clamps. NEVER use RTV. it beads up too much & gets into the oil lines. unless you spareingly. butter lube the fitting with RTV.
most people use too much of it.

Just had my oil cooler leak repaired. It seems that the gasket for the oil filter adaptor still had some of the original plastic backing on the gasket. So far so good. The dealer is also replacing on his dime my rear pads and rotors. The rotors are all grooved up, still usable but just not wearing good. The tech was perplexed as to the parking brake not being adjusted. I told him I don't use it and didn't want it dragging on the rotors, you know, to prevent scoring. Of course the rotors are on order. As more trikes hit the road, I hope they start stocking some wear and tear items.

I have customers there bring older tractors where lift-top is leaking between top and cylinder. ( pressure is up to 1800 lbs )
Take cylinder, mill around the port holes for an o ring.

It will never leak again.

yesterday, after picking up the oil cooler adapter gasket and a quart of oil, I began by removing the oil filter. Surprise surprise, the filter started to turn with almost no effort at all. Decided at that point to just go ahead and change the engine oil.Had been 4200 miles since last change anyway. Last oil change was done down in Tucson by an Indy. hoping this was the cause of the leak but I dont know why it took 4000 miles to show up. I will be keeping the gasket handy and hope I dont have to waste another filter and another qt of oil.

I've noticed a couple of drips under my bike as well and have been unsuccessful in locating it, though I know it's up front somewhere.

Can someone post some details on where exactly I might look for these oil cooler leaks that you guys are speaking of?

I've noticed a couple of drips under my bike as well and have been unsuccessful in locating it, though I know it's up front somewhere.

Can someone post some details on where exactly I might look for these oil cooler leaks that you guys are speaking of?

In the picture below, gasket #27 is where my leak was, changed out the gasket (#27) and so far no leak. #26 is the Oil Cooler Adapter.
delta, my leak was from the plastic film on the gasket also.
Butch

I have replaced my gasket on the manifold with the hose connections two times. Knock on wood they are holding up now for 15,000 miles without a problem. Seems to be a common problem. Then the transmission bottom cover started leaking, all the allen bolts were only hand tight. Then the engine bottom cover started leaking, same thing the allen bolts all around the bottom were all just finger tight. Had dealer repair all leaks, so far so good.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png