Getting used to the trike.....

Reaction score
FINALLY getting used to the new Trike. Going around turns are no longer a fearful experience. I knew that might take a while to get used to. I have even been on the bumpy-ass road that THEY call the "interstate" around here. Overall, this is probably the best bike I have ever had. Handles easily and cruises fantastic.

Going to be able to make the first long trip in October to the Rally in the Valley in Salem, Virginia. That will be our first long trip on the bike. Perhaps we will run in to a few fellow Trikers there.....

Here's the link to that rally.....

Wingless Weekend

Glad you're getting comfortable with your trike. I also have some familiarizing to do once I get mine back from the dealer. I'm gonna try and make the Rally in Salem. Not sure at this point.

Yep-bottom line is that it just takes time to get used to trike dynamics! I have about 350 miles now, and am finally getting to a point that I am not terrified each time I ride. Bumpy roads are crazy at high speed with an IRS, I encountered a stretch of this yesterday with a 40 mile an hour dust storm through the desert.:GL1800:

Yep-bottom line is that it just takes time to get used to trike dynamics! I have about 350 miles now, and am finally getting to a point that I am not terrified each time I ride. Bumpy roads are crazy at high speed with an IRS, I encountered a stretch of this yesterday with a 40 mile an hour dust storm through the desert.:GL1800:

I found THAT out darn fast on Interstate 64 through one of our tunnels here. 70mph was scaring the bejeebers out of me so the first time I figure I was white-knuckled at about 45mph.....really pissing off the other drivers. But now it's a whole different story. I can go through at the POSTED speed limit without a problem. Folks want to pass me then they are free to do so.....

I found THAT out darn fast on Interstate 64 through one of our tunnels here. 70mph was scaring the bejeebers out of me so the first time I figure I was white-knuckled at about 45mph.....really pissing off the other drivers. But now it's a whole different story. I can go through at the POSTED speed limit without a problem. Folks want to pass me then they are free to do so.....

Yes, traffic defineatly adds to the pressure of getting comfortable-I find myself going faster than I want sometimes to mesh with the flow. Especially thru twisties, it drives me nuts if a car is on my ass. But I think we both see the light at the end of the tunnel! ThumbUp

I've not got to ride near as much as I wanted this summer (work, EXCESSIVE heat, etc.) but I've managed to put 4 k on the trike anyway and, after the first 500 or so it felt very natural and easy. The hardest part for me was the feeling of the front tire "scrubbing" in tight high speed turns, but I've adapted to it and it feels pretty good now. My overall confidence level is now where I want it. Now I just need to ride enough to keep it there :wave4:

Im getting used to my new trike. Got it this past Saturday at an auction. First ride was 130 miles in the rain :AGGHH: lol. But I figure that every time I ride it, I only get better on it.pepper

Im getting used to my new trike. Got it this past Saturday at an auction. First ride was 130 miles in the rain :AGGHH: lol. But I figure that every time I ride it, I only get better on it.pepper

CONGRATS on the new ride. If you have photos then, please, post them. We always like to see people's new rides!!!!!

Gosh, I don't feel so alone. I'm loving getting to know my trike better. I took it to town this weekend. Traffic was a whole new ballgame, and millions of roundie-rounds made for a sore "morning after" but I still love it. I take deep breaths, don't sweat it if folks pass me, and I don't hesitate to pull over and regroup if I need a minute. I'm terrified of cooler weather....when I have to put it away til Spring will I forget everything?! I really want to be ready for solo rides (300 miles'ish) next Spring.

I'm still in the familiarization stages myself with my 'new to me' 05 Wing-Smith, lol. Every ride I take, it just gets better and better.

I do have one slight advantage over some of you. Well, at least at this time of the year,,,. I don't plan on putting her away for the winter as I ride 'through' the winter. Ya have ta remember,,. I'm a "CWR"!! lol (Cold Weather Rider) :laugh:. If there was any time during the year when my 'Runaround Sue' was to be idle, it's during the hot summer. ThumbUp

Don't rush yourself. Trikes take about 400 to 500 miles to get used to then you learn. Have fun and be safe

Gosh, I don't feel so alone. I'm loving getting to know my trike better. I took it to town this weekend. Traffic was a whole new ballgame, and millions of roundie-rounds made for a sore "morning after" but I still love it. I take deep breaths, don't sweat it if folks pass me, and I don't hesitate to pull over and regroup if I need a minute. I'm terrified of cooler weather....when I have to put it away til Spring will I forget everything?! I really want to be ready for solo rides (300 miles'ish) next Spring.

You really need not worry about the cold weather - put on a few layers or get some heated clothing. Open the vents for the foot warmers and calf heaters, turn up the heat on the handlebars and saddle (or, if your bike doesn't have that, gloves and a sheepskin) and you'll be good to go! and don't forget the :Coffee:

Heres a pic of the new ride. 05 GL1800 61K miles. She's getting a good wax this weekend and will work on the chrome

Heres a pic of the new ride. 05 GL1800 61K miles. She's getting a good wax this weekend and will work on the chrome

Like most of us I take a lot of pride in keeping my trike immaculate and that amounts to a certain intimidation for the first ride after cleaning: I KNOW there is a large, juicy, yellow gutted kamakazi bug out there just waiting to commit suicide at dead-center eye-level on my beautiful F4+2 windscreen! :AGGHH:

That's one nice lookin ride! :10:

I'll be joining your shortly in the task of waxing mine as well, lol ThumbUp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png