To Damper or not to Damper

americanbadass

Oct 18, 2011
salt lake city, ut
OK trikemasters-what are your feelings about steering dampers in general? I have and 4.5 degree ezsteer on my HD roadking, and it steers plenty easy-but at 70 mph if the bars move a small amount I am in the other lane. I'm talkin move the bars an inch and you can change lanes-this makes me hold the bars tightly which on a long ride is a lot of isometric muscle concentration. I am thinkin, that if I put a damper on it it will be a more relaxing experience for me. I have found dampers for 120.00 that fit the roadking, but if anyone could enligten me of the benefit, I would appreciate it. I could get the same effect by tightening the nut on my trippletree:Shrug:-but this would be to tight for the bearings according to the specs.:Shrug:

I have the CSC "Power Trak" front end and a steering damper just isn't needed? The Trike pretty near goes straight all by itself depending on the road I'm on. Ride Safe!

Mine is Goldwing with 6 degree kit and when on great roads I can let go and it will travel as straight as an arrow, on poor roads I can hold it steady with one hand if I wanted to so no damp needed.

Maybe something else is going on with the trike if is hard to keep straight (maybe does not have proper torque on the triple tree)

Could it be that your just too stiff and maybe doing a litte over steering?

It is not needed on my yamaha roadstar champion Have the easy steer on it.
Set the mechanical cruse on 70, leave my hands laying on handlebars. It goes streat down the road @ 38 - 40 miles a gal. Is only a 1700 with modified carb, intake and modified pipes. Total 4500 miles on clock.
Sounds just like a Harley. Looks like a Harley. But it is a very reliably Yamaha.
Had to do that.

A steering damper may "help" for what you're wanting, however, that's not what they are specifically designed for. A steering damper is designed to help eliminate "head shake" or steering wobble. If you've ever let go of your handlebars and had them "go crazy" on you, that's what a steering damper reduces and helps prevent. This is why they have also become "standard" equipment on all liter sized sport bikes and a few of the smaller ones.

I'm not sure how much difference there is between a HD and a Goldwing when a rake kit is installed. If this is a new rake kit install give it a few weeks for you to get used to the quicker stearing. When I put my kit on I thought I was nuts it steared so fast. When I got used to it I wish I had put it on a lot earlier. It's like driving a Cadilac now.

Well, how did it work out for you?

Got my damper two weeks ago and can't install it. Just had my right shoulder rebuilt, and only have a left hand for the next month or so. It has been hard enough learning to brush my teeth, type on a keyboard, and wipe my a$$ left handed-think I'm gunna wait on the damper installation!!!
:AGGHH::AGGHH::AGGHH::AGGHH::AGGHH::AGGHH::AGGHH:

I had your problem on my goldwing with the 6 degree rake. I tightened the needle bearings down to 45 foot pounds and no more problems. I put the front end up in the air a month or so ago and everything is still smooth and tight.

Yes there is! Several of them as a matter of fact.

Only decision you have to make is if you are willing to give up having the HD logo for a measley $300 savings.
47831.gif

Yes there is! Several of them as a matter of fact.

Only decision you have to make is if you are willing to give up having the HD logo for a measley $300 savings.
47831.gif

Post up the options so others can see what is available, the olin dampeners I've seen on the Triglides don't have a HD logo on them.

Is there an alternative to the outragiously priced Ohlins Damper 83808-09A?

vw super beetle damper around $35 last i bought one....has a rubber grommet on 1 end and a stud on the other ..... travel is such .. it takes some work to get the travel so you get lock to lock steering and the damper travels full length
but i would ask why you need a damper???
what are your symtoms??

I had your problem on my goldwing with the 6 degree rake. I tightened the needle bearings down to 45 foot pounds and no more problems. I put the front end up in the air a month or so ago and everything is still smooth and tight.

are you talking head set bearings????
i would have to guess 45 ft lbs is a tad much!!

Last edited:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png