A/C failure at 2,500 miles

Apr 11, 2009
Austin, Tx
My new Stallion is at Ford service AGAIN for service. Had it 4 weeks, this is 3rd time for Ford service. I had only ran the A/C for 200 miles or so total. On a 3 day, 1700 mile ride this weekend, started smelling something like hot brakes. Then a friend following saw a big puff of blue smoke. We stopped to check, A/C clutch was smoking hot, rubber melting, clutch slipping. This was in 100 deg. heat near Abiline, Tx. Geez, not a happy new owner. Anyway, turned off the AC switch, pulley and belt seems to run ok. I called my Ford service guy and TBMS, both said to continue trip.(we were going to Ne. to deliver a camping trailer that I sold).
Took to Ford this morning for AC compressor replacement. Will report back with results. :(:mad:

Well with anything new and different there are going to be problems... sure looks like you are getting your share of them... Things will work out. Hang in there.....
Ride safe and enjoy....

The A/C compressor came with the motor. The electric clutch froze and that's a FORD part. I believe the only thing TBMS does is wire into the A/C electric clutch switch. That being said you seem to be having a few issues. I hope they all work out. Ted

Some news from Ford service. Compressor is toast. He used the term "shellling" of impeller blade. This puts junk or small pieces of metal in the system. Sounds to me like metal failure, that in turn jams the compressor, then drive pulley clutch starts slipping and burns up. TBMS is overnighting new compressor & receiver/dryer. Should be done in a couple of days. Will post update later. :confused:

Got the Stallion back from Ford service today. Needed new AC compressor, receiver/dryer. Factory sent Ford the parts, then will pay warranty charge of $879. for labor, etc.
I also had the lights modified so that they go on/off with ignition switch. Had to pay for that mod. They put a linked fuse between 2 terminals on fuse box. Then disconnected the direct power from light switch.
While working on lights, tech found the 'multi-function switch" in steering column was defective, so warranty replaced that too.

Warranty has paid about $2,000. for repairs so far. TBMS support has been great.

We have a 10 day, 2000 mi ride planned at end of week.

Last edited:
RR glad you got it back. If you get a chance how about a pictiure of the fuse box showing the fuse link. Interesting mod. Good Luck Have a safe trip. Ted

Road Runner, glad you got her back. Let's hope your problems are over. Please post picture and exactly what the dealer did to correct the headlight issue. Enjoy your up coming trip, take pictures!

R/R if it helps to know. When I first got my stallion with less then 200 miles my trike was in the shop 5 times and each time for a min. of 1 week. Then by the time I had hit 5000 miles it had been in the shop a total of 13 weeks.

They trike has been sound after the part failure from good old ford products. There has only been 4 items that was TB’s fault.

Its been down on my account(actually up) for two long. But I get my cast off my hand and wrist tomorrow and I can get it back to getting my mods completed. I don’t think I will have it done in time for this weekend. I just hope I have it a transition point I can stop and put on the ground for the poke run for the Texoma Rally.

They said I will have to do p/t on the hand due to the bones that got broke. Sounds to me like Doctor orders me to ride the stallion to get movement back in the hand..
I should actually follow Doctor orders the wife says. So wait till she hears my interruption.

Back to subject at hand. Since we now have the ability to go to a ford dealership when on the road I wouldn’t have a second thought load up and go. I know your frustration and frame of mind about what we got into on such a new production trike with limited dealers. Since I had so many problems my self.

We can only truly hold T/B accountable for their assembly and the body. Like anything else manufactures of the parts they decided to use can be a pain. As most of us know.

Go on your trip no worries just fun. Relax and enjoy.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rramo
Back