Shock Mounting Plate Removal Failure

Mar 8, 2023
Levittown, PA, USA
[FONT=&quot]Well for those of you that are going to attempt to install aftermarket shocks...good luck. My 2022 Tri-Glide has 400 miles on it, thus no corrosion around any bolts. Long story short...I tried like a SOB to get the bolts out of the lower mounting plate and had no luck. I applied penetrating fluid, heat, etc.. Just cant get enough leverage on the top 2 bolts. HD must have applied some super special Loctite on them. I guess I bring my 14.5" SuperShocks to the dealer for installation.[/FONT]

Well for those of you that are going to attempt to install aftermarket shocks...good luck. My 2022 Tri-Glide has 400 miles on it, thus no corrosion around any bolts. Long story short...I tried like a SOB to get the bolts out of the lower mounting plate and had no luck. I applied penetrating fluid, heat, etc.. Just cant get enough leverage on the top 2 bolts. HD must have applied some super special Loctite on them. I guess I bring my 14.5" SuperShocks to the dealer for installation.

Harley Davidson uses a tan yellowish color dry Loctite. It works by chemical reaction. When they screw the bolt in it almost becomes semi permanent.. So without enough leverage they are almost impossible to remove… sometimes they need shock to get them off like an air ratchet…

Well for those of you that are going to attempt to install aftermarket shocks...good luck. My 2022 Tri-Glide has 400 miles on it, thus no corrosion around any bolts. Long story short...I tried like a SOB to get the bolts out of the lower mounting plate and had no luck. I applied penetrating fluid, heat, etc.. Just cant get enough leverage on the top 2 bolts. HD must have applied some super special Loctite on them. I guess I bring my 14.5" SuperShocks to the dealer for installation.

Well, I guess I'm one of those....... "those of you that are going to attempt to install aftermarket shocks...good luck" That would be me, soon, as I already have the 13" NexGen shocks and convertibale comfort lift kit in hand. I am goiing to attempt to put it all on my 2020 TG. If all else fails, I will take the body off and do it that way. Always want to take the body off anyway just for fun. Although your story is discouraging, I will persevere!

I have removed dozens of shocks on Tri Glides and Freewheelers. Never had to use any heat. Just leverage or an impact.

Removing the body can make it easier, and it is interesting to see what it looks like with the body off. But I've never found it necessary to do for shock or shock mount swaps.

Kevin

I have removed dozens of shocks on Tri Glides and Freewheelers. Never had to use any heat. Just leverage or an impact.

Removing the body can make it easier, and it is interesting to see what it looks like with the body off. But I've never found it necessary to do for shock or shock mount swaps.

Kevin

Now that’s encouraging. That’s what I need to hear.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png