• It appears that you have unread Personal Messages - Please check your inbox!

VW TRIKE riding dynamics

Reaction score
I have become a real trike hore lately, my whole garage will be full of them if I don't control myself.
My question is: how difficult is it to get used to shifting a VW based trike, around town and in the twisties? It seems to me like you would be doing a lot of one handed steering, and the clutch pedal is where the shifter used to be, no front brake! I had a rough enough time adjusting to my HD trike conversion, I might need shock treatments or a lobotomy to do this!:AGGHH::AGGHH::AGGHH:

Don't take long to get use to shifting with your left hand. The way the gears are, you can lug them down thru the twisties and still have the torque to pull without downshifting in the middle. Mine jumps out of third under acceleration so you have to hold it in. I can one hand the 35-45 mph turns and I have M/S with short bars. I wouldn't own one without a front brake. I wouldn't trade mine for a Harley or a Goldwing.

I have become a real trike hore lately, my whole garage will be full of them if I don't control myself.
My question is: how difficult is it to get used to shifting a VW based trike, around town and in the twisties? It seems to me like you would be doing a lot of one handed steering, and the clutch pedal is where the shifter used to be, no front brake! I had a rough enough time adjusting to my HD trike conversion, I might need shock treatments or a lobotomy to do this!:AGGHH::AGGHH::AGGHH:

Get you an autostick[very little shifting] or get you a full automatic, no shifting at all and then you can ride and enjoy the breeze and scenry too.

The Blue Trike, a Trike Shop Runabout, had a full auto tranny. Gloria also had Dick at the Trike Shop put in a foot accelerator pedal so it had foot controls just like a car.

Was in a station wagon, with pancake engine.

How hard is it to convert over to one of the automatics? My trike has a 4sp, but I'm thinking of converting over to a full auto sometime down the road so my wife can ride it easier. I'm thinking it would probably be just a bolt in swap?

How hard is it to convert over to one of the automatics? My trike has a 4sp, but I'm thinking of converting over to a full auto sometime down the road so my wife can ride it easier. I'm thinking it would probably be just a bolt in swap?

Switching over to an auto is not just a bolt in swap. The type 3 auto has a different mounting system than the type 1. You have to cut off the frame horns on the rear section and build a frame and weld it to the torsion tube to mount the trans. The auto is quite a bit larger than the manual transaxle. If you do find an auto, be sure and get the flex plate and auto specific gland nut as they are getting really hard to find.

Switching over to an auto is not just a bolt in swap. The type 3 auto has a different mounting system than the type 1. You have to cut off the frame horns on the rear section and build a frame and weld it to the torsion tube to mount the trans. The auto is quite a bit larger than the manual transaxle. If you do find an auto, be sure and get the flex plate and auto specific gland nut as they are getting really hard to find.

She'll just have to shift.. lol

I have full VW automatic on Tweety.

In Australia they came out as an option is several designs around 1968-1975 the fastback, squareback (wagon) and notchback (sedan) and combi's.

It is certainly an easier ride and I prefer it over changing gears.

The flexplates are harder to get now in Oz. Although when I sold my VW 1916 engine and installed the Subaru ea81 the adapter plate came with a new custom flexplate as a kit. That was from John Sherman of VW conversions in Queensland. So if you are desperate try him.

One original flex plate had faulty rivets and one broke free and peirced the rear main seal on the engine. Wondered what that rattle was!!

The type 3 full auto tranmission is robust, smooth and easy to service. You can place the auto selector in the middle of your tank. A few more things:

- If you ever split the transaxle to the auto box use two seals there. They tend to leak over time and two will fit.

- I tend to overfill my transmission just a little. If fluid is on the full mark try going slowly up a steep incline. If you tend to lose transmission grip then your level is too low.

- The kickdown is controlled with two systems, one is with an electrical switch on your throttle. The other from a vacuum line to a solonoid at the back of the transmission. To adjust your kickdown pull the vacuum line off the solonoid. Use a small flat screwdriver on a tiny screw in the middle of where that tube goes in. To make the kickdown more reactive and allow it to hold gear longer unscrew the screw a turn at a time then test ride. There is also another adjustment on top at the front of the tranny. I suggest you leave that one alone. I think it adjusts a band. That one is for the experts...if you find one alive?

Dont expect miracles from this old fashioned transmission. Treat it well and it will last a long time in a 500kgm trike.

One more thing. Since I've supercharged the ea81 the limitations of the transmission have almost disappeared. The extra low end torque allows for much better engine response. Auto's can feel sluggish. but with 80 or more hp at the wheels it is a dream to ride and a dream to tow trailers. It has become a totally different animal. With both hands on the bars!

You can see the auto selector in this pic.

IMG_0017-1.jpg

IMG_00182.jpg

IMG_0010-1.jpg

Just like Duane, my Roadhawk has auto tranny with 140 h.p. Shift into drive and don't worry about shifting again until you stop. Plus, my RH cruises easy at 80 mph without a sweat.

2 bb

Just like Duane, my Roadhawk has auto tranny with 140 h.p. Shift into drive and don't worry about shifting again until you stop. Plus, my RH cruises easy at 80 mph without a sweat.

2 bb

Hi Doc, I'm curious ... are your RPM's around 4K at 80 MPH? Mine are 3K at 60, 3.5K at 70 and 4K at 80. 70 MPH yields @ 18 MPG Hwy. Thanx, ^v^

Hi Doc, I'm curious ... are your RPM's around 4K at 80 MPH? Mine are 3K at 60, 3.5K at 70 and 4K at 80. 70 MPH yields @ 18 MPG Hwy. Thanx, ^v^

Hawk......The post you are Quoting is from 2012......And CAG-Doc. Hasn't been online since 2017.....:Shrug:...

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png