earplugs

danield

Reaction score
My wife and I enjoy riding our new 2012 Honda Goldwing (CSC Viper) trike with the exception of the surrounding noise. I am looking for any recommendations of earplugs that any of you have tried that can be used with a full face helmet. My hearing is not what it used to me. I want to listen to the music and converse with the wife while we ride but with less distraction of road and engine noise. Thanks in advance.

My wife and I enjoy riding our new 2012 Honda Goldwing (CSC Viper) trike with the exception of the surrounding noise. I am looking for any recommendations of earplugs that any of you have tried that can be used with a full face helmet. My hearing is not what it used to me. I want to listen to the music and converse with the wife while we ride but with less distraction of road and engine noise. Thanks in advance.

I use foam ear plugs and I find that with or without a helmet the wind noise is greatly reduce and the music sounds great. It's great the way the annoying noises are so greatly reduce. A cheap fix and you can still hear the traffic and things you need to hear.

Not trying to toss stones but, ride a Harley Triglide for a while and you'll find the Goldwing is quiet as a church mouse. When I rented a 2012 GL1800 before I bought mine my wife couldn't believe the difference between it and my 2010 Triglide which had 50 state legal mufflers. After a freeway run at 80 mph I ask her what she thought, she said damn buy one I can hear the stereo loud and clear for a change.

I bought one and wow talk about deathly quiet compared to the Harley, I just got done making an 80 -85mph run with a full face helmet in gusting wind and I could hear the stereo with the volume turned up only to 11. Have you adjusted the (Can't remember the name) it causes the volume to automatically increase or decrease based on speed. The default from the factory is off, I have mine set on high which really gets the music cranking when your running 80 mph. As for carrying on a conversation, I can at lesser speeds. Any other time I use the Intercom.

I have modified all of my helmets and several of my friends with 3.5mm stereo cut-out jacks and then modified noise canceling ear buds to mate with the cut-outs. The result is minimal wind/road noise (not total elimination though) and I get very good audio.

The guys I ride with know not to even attempt CB conversation if I don't have the ear buds in.....ThumbUp ThumbUp

There are also commercially available adapters that go in line with the headset cord and let you plug a set of ear buds in there. I elected to go the other way because I dislike the ear bud wire dangling and flopping.

It's the wind that damages your hearing over time...and I can actually hear better with the ear plugs in, even the stereo sounds better. i use the foam disposable ones by Howard Leight MAX by Sperian. Very good...

:Agree:
Except I use the E.A.R. yellow foam plugs. I bought a bag of 100 pairs about 7 years ago and still have a few pairs left. I have tried all the other foam type and keep going back to the E.A.R. To me they are the quietest and I can still hear my radio clearer then without plugs.

Personnally I don't think the custom made ones would be as quiet or comfortable for me.
At first I thought the plugs with the attachment cord were dorky looking, but I tried a pair and now I love the convenience of them - not loosing them or getting gunk on them from being in my pocket. :D

When you find a pair you like - buy them in bulk - you'll save a ton of money. I sure did.

I have ta tell ya,,,... I don't have any issues with excessive wind noise. :Shrug: I can hear my radio/music just fine. Maybe it's because I have the F4+4 windshield and it blocks so much of the wind. :)

I use a J&M CB/Audio system with the headset/mike setups in either my half-helmet or 3/4 helmet. My music comes from my Garmin GPS MP3 connected through the J&M. I use foam shooter earplugs from Walmart. Works great. You need to be careful about using earbud-type devices since, believe it or not, they are illegal in some states, like Maryland (sunofagun, that's where I live). Nothing in the MD law about headset speakers. I really don't expect a LEO is going to pull you over if they have a suspicion you're using earbuds, but having them on if pulled over for any other reason may get you a ticket if the LEO is having a bad day. Just sayin'....

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png