Rain Gear

paws

Just Killing Time...
Oct 22, 2011
Kerrville, TX U.S.A
We are in need of new rain gear.
We're wanting some recommendations from folks - both good and bad - so that we have a starting point. There are SO many available now.
We would want to be able to use them year-round such that they would be breatheable in warm weather yet warm and dry in cold, wet weather. I guess that would mean having a removeable liner of some sort.

We'd appreciate any/all input anyone might have for us.

Living in west Texas we usually don't have to worry about rain but coming home from the rally at Ruidoso, NM a couple of weeks ago got pretty wet that last hour from home. We had on new rain suits but they were old - had never taken them out of the stuff-sack. Bought them around 1998, made by Coleman camping people, had never worn them...they didn't keep us very dry. They found a new home in the trash can as soon as we got them off!

We use Frog Toggs. Get them at Academy about $40.00 suit, and maybe Wal-Mart. They look cheap, like they are made of paper but they are really pretty tough stuff. We have had ours for at least 7 years and still work great. We have been in some real downpours and stayed dry. I burned my right pants leg a little on the Harley exhaust so I got a new suit but still use the old ones cause they still keep me dry. They also make a pretty good wind breaker when it is cool.

We have the Tour Master Sentinel Rain suits and they are great. Pricesy, but very well worth it.
Good luck on your choice, but whatever you choose, make sure it will last and keep you dry.

Regards,

Rosy
From NH

+1for the Tourmaster .. Why I like it
1) Not only is it good to have in the trunk for rain but it is also good when it gets too cool.
2) When you get off at a Resturant you can leave them on you don't even look like you are wearing rain gear.
3) last but not least they keep me dry and do not flap on the wind or make you sweat. After the rain stops I often leave them on till the next stop. Be warned do not buy cheap rain gear made of PVC or non breathing material. You will be wetter under the rain gear.
And I also wear Cruiserworks boots. You can walk up a river in them and your feet will stay dry. They are comfortable to wear all day. Worth the money ( not cheap )

No matter what gear you buy first thing you should do is turn it inside out and check the seams to make sure you ain't getting a pig in a poke. Tourmaster sent me a piece a junk suit. I won't ever buy expensive rain gear again. Ain't worth it considering what you get.

I do know to avoid Nelson Rigg rain gear. Never stay dry in it.
On the other hand, I second Johns endorsement of Cruiserworks boots. I've been wearing them for years and they are great.

Frogg Toggs get my vote. I am on my 3rd (maybe 4th) set. The only rain gear that I have found that I can wear in the Charlotte, NC summer weather (high humidity and high temps). You can actually feel the breeze when you are moving, but the wet doesn't make it way inside.

I had a pair of Road Toads by Frogg Toggs which have all the reflective piping for motorcyclists and they leaked terribly in the seams of the pants. Bought a $40 pair of First Gear rain suit and in 2 years have never had any problems with getting wet.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png