36 vs 41 on GL1800 front tire.

I went with what my shop (Goldwings only) said I should be running for pressure on my MPA rear tire up front and that was 41 PSI with 22 PSI on the Michelin car tire rears.

MPA construction:
Think of the top of the rear tire as a semi circle, divide that semi circle in 100%
20% on top 40% on right side and 40% on the left side.
20% of the circle is made up of medium hardness rubber
40% is made up of softer type rubber.
I assume the higher tire pressure will keep the medium hardness rubber in contact with the road not allowing it to flex to the softer rubber on the sides, but remember, the trike does not put stress on the sides as it turns on the front as a two wheel bike does when turning because you do not lean the trike.
Now think of the same semi circle for the front MPA tire:
60% on top 20% on the right side and 20% on the left side
60% on top of the front tire is made up of softer rubber and 20% on the sides is soft rubber
With this, you would not expect the MPA front tire to get good milage on a trike as you would mounting the rear up front.
I also read a letter from Michelin saying it was OK to mount the rear tire up front in reverse fashion on a TRIKE. I don't think you would want to do this on a two wheel bike because you would loose grip when you lean the bike.
Some shops still will not mount the Michelin rear tire up front, but I assume if you show them the letter and ask them to call this person at Michelin who wrote the letter, they may change their minds about mounting the tire.
That's my reason I run 41 PSI and 22 PSI on my GL 1800 trike.

Regards,

Rosy
From NH

I went with what my shop (Goldwings only) said I should be running for pressure on my MPA rear tire up front and that was 41 PSI with 22 PSI on the Michelin car tire rears.

MPA construction:
Think of the top of the rear tire as a semi circle, divide that semi circle in 100%
20% on top 40% on right side and 40% on the left side.
20% of the circle is made up of medium hardness rubber
40% is made up of softer type rubber.
I assume the higher tire pressure will keep the medium hardness rubber in contact with the road not allowing it to flex to the softer rubber on the sides, but remember, the trike does not put stress on the sides as it turns on the front as a two wheel bike does when turning because you do not lean the trike.
Now think of the same semi circle for the front MPA tire:
60% on top 20% on the right side and 20% on the left side
60% on top of the front tire is made up of softer rubber and 20% on the sides is soft rubber
With this, you would not expect the MPA front tire to get good milage on a trike as you would mounting the rear up front.
I also read a letter from Michelin saying it was OK to mount the rear tire up front in reverse fashion on a TRIKE. I don't think you would want to do this on a two wheel bike because you would loose grip when you lean the bike.
Some shops still will not mount the Michelin rear tire up front, but I assume if you show them the letter and ask them to call this person at Michelin who wrote the letter, they may change their minds about mounting the tire.
That's my reason I run 41 PSI and 22 PSI on my GL 1800 trike.

Regards,

Rosy
From NH

I have the same tire up front mounted in reverse and also use 41 psi.

Ditto here - as recommended by my installer, who stuck a card with the recommended tire pressures inside my trunk lid where I can't miss it.

Supposedly 41 psi for the bias -ply tires and stock pressures for the radials because of the handling.

41 psi is the standard recommended pressure for the biased rear sport tire (even on sport bike). The tire has very heavy carcass and trike puts lots of stresss on it. I always use the 41 psi.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png