front tire for TriGlide

Re: front tire

Michelin is making the Commander II for the Harley"s. I have had one for about 6,000 miles and it seams to be wearing better than the Dunlap's. Most Harley dealers are carrying them and they are a little cheaper than the Dunlap's. Hope that helps!!!!

yea just looked up that commander 2 tire and people are really liking them over the dunlops..

I'm sticking with the Dunlop. i got 17000 out of the first one, and 18000 on this one and still dont look to bad. just my opinion.

Just bought a new Dunlap, hope it wears as good as the last one. Got over 20,000 and still counting , but plan on changing soon.

yea just looked up that commander 2 tire and people are really liking them over the dunlops..

:Agree:

Really like the way the Commander II performs. I am also using the Micheline HydroEdge on the rear. The two seem to go together real well.

:Agree:

Really like the way the Commander II performs. I am also using the Micheline HydroEdge on the rear. The two seem to go together real well.

What difference are you feeling seeing with these tires?? One day I will have to replace the tires and like to make a decision on what to buy in the future.

Thanks

I don't know how everyone is getting such high milages, but I just turned 10k and the front stock tire is in need of a replacement. Today I'm having the dealer put a rear tire (not trike rear tire-lol)on the front in reverse and see how that works.

I don't know how everyone is getting such high milages, but I just turned 10k and the front stock tire is in need of a replacement. Today I'm having the dealer put a rear tire (not trike rear tire-lol)on the front in reverse and see how that works.
what tire pressure are you running on the front?

Most of the trikes are running tires that were originally intended to be rear tires on the front of their trikes. Reversing the rotation makes a rear tire suitable for a front position on a trike and the extra tread depth makes them get better mileage. I wouldn't suggest that for a 2 wheeler even though the double-dark-siders are doing just that.

I was using the Michelin Commander on the 16" front rims of the Harley-Davidson, but for about the last 20 customers I have changed to a Dunlop GT501 130-90-16. Looks more like a front tire and I think it will eliminate any hydroplaning.

Dunlop GT501 Sport Bias Rear Tire - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

GaryD can you talk a little bit more about using a rear tire on the front. Is this a stock rear tire from an Ultra or something else?

My 2012 trike is the 4th Harley that I have owned and I have never had any issues with the stock Dunlop tires. On my 2009 Streetglide I got almost 18,000 miles on the back tire and more than that on the front tire and this was the same time that Harley had a recall on tires. I have a little over 10,000 on my trike and they all look like I just rolled off the showroom floor. Harley uses them for a reason and I am a believer in the "If it isn't broke, don't fix it" theory.

4Harleys? 2wheelers are different as comparing Oranges to Grapes. The tie has a different job to do on a Trike. The sidewall needs to be stiff. Argue all you want. The rear tire bias ply is the only choice. ThumbUp

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png