do you need insurance to buy

oneup

Aug 30, 2012
Brisbane Australia
do you need insurance before you purchase a bike in the USA. i have heard that in most states you do.
i also heard that a company called progressive dealt with this online, but when i emailed them they didnt understand that i was looking for insurance for my time in the USA to buy and tour, before i go back home.
I will only need insurance for the month i tour.

You wouldn't need insurance to buy but would need it to be legal for driving. Since the VIN would be required prior to purchasing insurance I would suggest you buy the trike then purchase either on line or through an agent. In either case the card would be issued immediately.

I know in Houston there are several agencies that specialize in motorcycle insurance. Probably in every state. Try doing a Google search for motorcycle insurance in the state or town you plan to purchase in. You may have better luck with an agent specializing in motorcycle insurance than the national company.

what are you intending to buy here? In Florida Motorcycles do NOT require insurance. If you are purchasing a Harley they also sell insurance and maybe able to fix you up for one month of temporary coverage.

Probly be easier to buy a bike and get insurance and then cancel it when you're thru with the insurance than deal with trying to explain what you want to do.:wave4:

Dairyland Land insurence seems to be popular wherever you are buying the trike might be able to find you a local agent to help you out

in tennessee you can buy it and register it without insurance. but if you ride it without insurance you can get a ticket with pretty severe penalties. in some areas they might have it impounded until you show proof of insurance. a small liability policy is very reasonable. i have two trikes and my insurance is only slightly over twenty dollars a month for both of them for basic liability coverage.

thanks for the infomation. i will be buying a harley tri glide. a 2009 or newer with very low milage. harley davidson wont let dealers sell me or Australians in general buy a new bike in the USA to protect the price gouging dealers here. which is ironic as we cant buy the trike here. if it was available the starting price would be over $53000. and yes i have checked that price. bad isnt it

thanks for the infomation. i will be buying a harley tri glide. a 2009 or newer with very low milage. harley davidson wont let dealers sell me or Australians in general buy a new bike in the USA to protect the price gouging dealers here. which is ironic as we cant buy the trike here. if it was available the starting price would be over $53000. and yes i have checked that price. bad isnt it

Have you given it any thought that it might be the price gouging dealers in Australia that wanted HD to agree to this because they knew the Australians would be buying in the States? Just sayin!

Sounds like you need to find one from a private party who is willing to help with getting it shipped to you, where there's a will there's a way.

yes if you read what i said above i am accusing HD australia, and dealers here in australia of pressuring the parent company to not sell to us. American dealers seem a lot more helpfull than ours, but cant sell a new bike to an australian, or risk their dealership.
Thanks Gorilla i did look in the for sale section here, but its a bit too early for me to be looking at a private sale quite yet as we are planning our trip to include STURGIS 2013.
I will be looking here seriously when it gets closer

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png