2 wheelers making their own parking spots??

Aug 26, 2012
Phoenix
Okay, I never did this even when I could write a two wheeler. I notice almost every parking lot of every store I go to here in the Phoenix area you are likely to see at least one motorcycle parked up on the curb next to the doors to go in. Is that legal? I'm not sure if it is or if they just figure they're going to be very quick about it. So my question to you is have you ever parked in a parking place that was not the designated parking spot? And is it okay for us three wheelers to do it as well??

Did it all the time on my 2 wheeler, lots of things you can do on two that you can't on 3. Cutting lanes for instance. or short cut around a corner in the gutter lane, or on the sidewalk.... Wife and I have squeezed the trikes into places that are no-no's. Most of the time local police have no jurisdiction unless the store calls them, most won't, because you are a patron.

I would park my two wheeler in the odd spaces of parking lots where there isn't enough room for a car, Never had a problem, But i won't do it with my Tri Glide, It's too wide and will attract Johnny Law.

Some places that cater to motorcycles pant white lines about two feet apart, and have signs that say motorcycle parking only.
A lot of parking lots around here pant white lines about two feet apart wear they don't want cars to park. I will park in them and I figure if anyone complains I'll just play dumb and say I thought it was meant for motorcycle parking. I have never had anyone complain yet.:busted:

I did that a lot when I was younger, but I never blocked any place so it would stop people coming or going. Here in Ontario these days..the roads AND sidewalks..and ANY other place they can fit are FULL of small underpowered electric "scooters" that are limited to 30kph. No license is required OR license plates either!:censored::censored:

And I hate to say it...90% of people who "ride" these things don't seem to have a clue what they're doing!! They ride / park any damn place they feel like..sharing the sidewalks with pedestrians as if they are SUPPOSED to do that!:censored:

They don't follow the rules of the road either! Sadly, as usually happens in things like this..it will take several deaths before the authorities wake up and put some sort of controls / standards & require at least a minimal training & license of some sort on these things. They are literally as unpredictable as Dear at the roadside!! Ok, I feel better now...thanks!:Trike1:

I've never parked on a sidewalk, I figure I'm not more important than the people driving a car. I park in a parking space just like I would when I'm in my truck. I've never seen anyone park on a sidewalk around my neck of the woods, I have seen them in the areas where cars can't park.

I've never parked on a sidewalk, I figure I'm not more important than the people driving a car. I park in a parking space just like I would when I'm in my truck. I've never seen anyone park on a sidewalk around my neck of the woods, I have seen them in the areas where cars can't park.

I know where you live, you don't have sidwalks in your neck of the woods.:D

And, your road is startin to get pretty rough.:)

I will continue to park on sidewalks near the wall, out of the way if at all possible. BUT, I also am one of the "few" who had someone back out of a parking spot, cut it too tight, and hit my motorcycle, knock it over, and leave the scene. 2800 in damage done to my bike. The store did all they could to locate her, but were never able to get a clear shot on camera of her plates.

I've never parked on the sidewalk - 2 wheels or 3. I use to park in those end areas with striped yellow lines in mall parking lots with no trouble. Then one year I got a ticket(no warning - nothing). I sent a letter to the mall general manager and told them I would never go back to their mall. I was not blocking anything or anybody. Lots of others use to do the same thing. So for being an a$$ about it, the mall has lost thousands of dollars of my buisness.
I know, I know that area is not for parking, but what did it hurt. Now days I just park in the regular parking slots - I'm old and need the exercise. :D

At least I'm not one of the inconsiderate $#@% a$$holes that park in the handicap spots. I see that everyday.

Unless the mall requests it, cops can't give you a ticket because it's private property - at least that's what I've been told.

I never park in car parking spaces unless with a group of bikes.When by ourselves use the extra areas around the end of the lanes.No one ever seemed to care.
Once on a 2-wheel GW,at a diner,parked where no other vehicles were parked.When we came out,a pick-up had parked so close on the right side,I couldn't up-right the bike enough to get it off the side stand.Would have dropped it if I tried.Wife and I pushed the bike out of space while on side stand until I could up-right it.
Second time on our trike,in a car space,a driver parked so close on right side,I don't know how they would have been able to get out of drivers door without hitting the trike.
Waited around to see them get back in the vehicle.They must have seen us at the trike and never came out.
I just don't park out in the parking spaces any more,keeps me from losing my temper.

I would also recommend checking local laws, a lot of the striped sections at the end of a row, if in the same row with handicap parking, falls into the same laws as parking in a handicap spot. That's true where I live (had a few friends get a ticked from police patrolling the lot).

125cc and smaller Scooters/Electric Scooters can legally park in striped areas at end of parking rows (not adjacent to Handicap spots), and on sidewalks wider than 4 feet here....."All else" have to be in a parking space "Or Else"....ThumbUp

I park where it's legal and safe. Seems that too many on 2 or 3 wheels demand equal rules-of-the-road treatment from 4 wheelers but refuse to return the favor. Why? :Shrug:

Guys in Florida Police have jurisdiction in parking lots even though they are private property. They are open to general use by the public therefor are subject to traffic enforcement and criminal acts enforcement. Parking and driving on the sidewalks and bike paths is a no no for ANY motorized vehicle and bikes where posted.

I take 2 things into mind when I need to park at a store or public venue. 1. Make sure I'm not in a position that inconveniences the public. 2. Make sure my bike is as safe as possible from either being hit by another vehicle or fiddled with by a passer by. (you're never 100% sure of accomplishing either...unless you live in the middle of a desert)

Well, I don't park anywhere except a legal parking space. Oh and the police DO HAVE JURISDICTION if the store is in their town. Saw a bike get a ticket for parking in a no parking zone. Had a friend that parked at the end of a space at Walmart. A truck came round the corner and hit the bike with a trailer an totaled out the bike. Since the bike was parked in a no parking zone my friend got a ticket and was ruled at fault. His insurance would not pay because he had parked in a no parking zone. So for me, I will park legally and walk the extra few steps, I like my bike too much and can't afford to buy a new one. I usually park way out away from everyone so my bike is safe from swinging doors. So, if you park in a no parking zone, you may regret it one day.

I use to park my two-wheeler in a regular parking spot at the movies. I would ask the ticket sales ladies to watch my helmet and jacket. Once while retrieving my gear a manager walked up and introduced himself and recommended I park my bike on the sidewalk to the side of the ticket sales booth so the ticket sales staff could keep an eye on it. Seems they had a few helmets and saddlebags stolen. Last time I noticed there were about 8 bikes there. Now I don't frequent any other movie place.

doug

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png