• It appears that you have unread Personal Messages - Please check your inbox!

Checking oil

Reaction score
How long do you have to let 07 goldwing
Run before you shut off to check oil and do you screw in dipstick
Or no

I check mine before I start it take the dipstick out wipe it off then put it back in but don't turn it.if I start it I have to wait 10 min for it to bbe right.

Have you seen the new transmission cover that Kuryakyn is offering soon? You don't have to remove the cover to check your oil. I already ordered the set through Wingstuff. They should have them in by the end of November.

It's called "Louvered Chrome Transmission Cover" item #:KU7366

Those are cool Rich, I just bought chrome covers so I will not be ordering anytime soon, but I do like those a lot.

I know we should do it "by the book" and check the oil before each ride but I have never met anyone that does that.
Except me.
I eyeball the garage floor under the trike - and always find it to be pristine.
I do break down and read the dipstick just before I change the oil - and the crankcase has never some up short.

Time to check the tubes..
Remove the left side panel ( the one that had the REV lever ) and you will see 2 tubes hanging down
Place a pan on the floor under them . Remove the plugs from the ends of the tubes .
Once you know where they are you can remove the plugs without removing the tubes. If you remove the panel, it is a good time to clean or replace the filters .

I have always had to wait 20-30 minutes after running to get the oil to drain completely back for an accurate check. This is the first vehicle I have owned in my many yrs. that it is recommended to run it before checking the oil.

rowdy says, in part:

This is the first vehicle I have owned in my many yrs. that it is recommended to run it before checking the oil.

I have always been told the best practice is to get the engine oil warmed up, let it set for a bit and then check it. this to be sure there is the proper amount of oil in the tranny and in the oil filter when checked. If it set too long that oil would drain down and give a high reading.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png