My first bike

carpened

Oct 14, 2012
Worcester, MA USA
I don't know if I'm doing this right, but I'll give it a shot...

It was years ago, when I was a kid, but my first motorcycle was a 1948 Harley with the tank shift and a foot operated clutch. Spark advance was controlled just like the throttle, except it was done with the left grip.

There were no motorcycle licenses or endorsements back then; if you had a regular driver's license and you got a motorcycle, you simply took it out onto the street and taught yourself how to drive it. Those were the days.

I bought that bike for $80; and after driving it for awhile, I sold it to one of my friends for $125. That was certainly stupid, but it's not the only stupid thing I've done.

I owned one of those 1954 Corvettes for a while too. I ended up selling that gem for $300--but that's a story for another time on a different forum.

Ed Carpenter AKA carpened

I bet most of us have story's about the one that got away because of US. I couldn't tell you how many bikes, cars & guns I let get away because of one dumb reason or another, ME. :)

My first was an Indian chief; foot clutch and tank shift. It too had the spark control that could send you over the handle bars when cranking. I paid 25$ for the classic out of WW II.
My second was a Harley 125cc, 1948 vintage with a rubber band fork suspension. The third was a Whizzer; I paid 8$ for that which was a box project. Sure wish I had them now! Later bikes were two 650 Triumphs and a Triumph Trident.
A :)

My first was an Indian chief; foot clutch and tank shift. It too had the spark control that could send you over the handle bars when cranking. I paid 25$ for the classic out of WW II.
My second was a Harley 125cc, 1948 vintage with a rubber band fork suspension. The third was a Whizzer; I paid 8$ for that which was a box project. Sure wish I had them now! Later bikes were two 650 Triumphs and a Triumph Trident.
A :)

You had my "Dream Bike"!!!! What I wouldn't give to have a vintage Indian Chief now. ;)

DSC00139.jpg

My 1st was a 150 Vespa GL 1966 . I just sold it for $300, ( $100 more that I paid for it in 1968 ) my second was a 450 Honda 1971, that I sold to get a 1978 Honda 550 F4, then 17 years later I got a 1980 Goldwing Aspencade, and sold the 550 3 years ago.put a Voyager key on the 1980 Wing,and after 3 years sold it for what I had in it and bought a 1997 DFT Goldwing trike from Rosa, the Wife of the owner of DFT .then I bought a 1989 500 Honda Shadow,$800 could not pass it up, and a year later a CF Moto V3 for $800. I still enjoy a 2 wheeler once and a while.

chickmag.jpg

Same here.
66 dart GT 273 4 barrel 4 speed
1970 barracuda grand coupe
1956 Chevy convertible with a Corvette drive train
1966 Corvair Spyder turbo convertible 4 speed, power top ( 100 ) were Produced

first bikes were off road...
Hodaka 90
Honda 65
first road bike was HD Sprint (250cc)
took my NY MC license test on my brother's Indian Chief
- imagine circles & figure eights with that.
- passed with no trouble
That was in 1967...
After that it was an AJS Matchless 650 & a list of bikes that would bore you, getting to the present.

JohnB

I would love to park that Indian in my garage. But then where would I sleep? Cuz as soon as Honey saw it that is where I would be livin!!:laugh:

My first bike was a 1957 Harley Sportster I paid $300 for. You mentioned the 1954 Corvette you sold for $300. I looked at a 1954 Corvette in good running condition but needed paint. Seller wanted $300 for it, but too high for me. I ended up buying a 1962 fuelie Corvette for $1,800 and sold it two years later for $1,000. The seller of the 1954 Corvette could not sell it and ended up trading it for a set of mag wheels for his 1956 Chevy Nomad.

My first bike was a Honda 350 which had been made into a chopper! Small chopper but I had a lot of fun with it.

We all make dumb mistakes. I traded in a '65 Mustang fastback for peanuts. About 2 months later they started showing up in collectors sheets for big bucks. Oh well.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png