insurance information

Re: Trike Insurance

I have insurance through Foremost on my TG. When I switched over from 2-wheels, the amount changed by $4.

We have Markel (Bike Line) on both our trikes. They are insured as "HARLEY TOURTRIKE". Had Foremost prior to that. At the time they insured them as a motorcycle with an expensive accessory. We were happy with both companies but got a much better deal for the same coverage from Markel.

I have my vehicles insured with Allied. I called and told them that I added the Hannigan trike kit, which increased the value 3 times. They sent me a letter with the new rate and it went down $31. I'm very happy with the Hannigan, and now I'm happy again! Owen.

Hi all I insured with American Modern, It is insured as a custom motorcycle with full replacement value coverage. and a $ 500 deductable. For $ 400 a year. In NY. thats not bad at all.. Dom

I have my insurance with Progressive its insured as 2005 Goldwing. I told the lady it was a trike all she asked for was total price paid( $28,000) for trike . I have always had good luck with Progressive I hope that remains true in the future . Greg Christian

As with any insurance, it is good to read the fine print. On Her Purpleness, our previous trike, we had Progressive. They insured the bike as it came from the factory, anything else was under the accessory coverage. They were great when we had our little upleasentness last Sept. We got 2 seperate checks from Progressive after they totaled it: One for the value of the original Goldwing portion, and one for the accessories. The value of the original GW as it came from the factory was lower than I expected, but it didn't have a rear wheel, driveline, saddlebags and anything else taken off to convert the Wing to a trike. They pay 100% of accessory coverage, so make sure you have enough to cover all the accessories as defind under you company policy.
We replaced the 1500 with an 1800, and got our current insurance company to value the factory portion, then added up all the accessories including the Champion kit and labor to intall them then had the agent add "customizaition" coverage to policy. (Progressive doesn't write full coverage on the new trike, just liability, because Missouri considers trike conversions special construction. :mad: Current company insures as a motorycle
with "customization".)

My insurance is with Dairyland, which is the H-D insurance here in Fort Worth. My original softtail with the company seemed like a good deal, now with the Trike I have $20,000 for accessories added and the cost per year for the insurance has tripled. I'm not too happy with that price, since I have a clean driving record, and I think it is time to shop around.

In NY. State Trikes Are Concidered Custome Motorcycles. I am sure each state hase its own deal. And on Mine the rates were higher. Good luck and B safe on your new Trike. I have only ben Triking for 2 weeks my self, and it takes a wile to get use to it... All The Best... Don

I had Pekin Ins. here in Iowa and my 2 wheeler was $220.00. When I contacted them for the 3 wheeler they quoted $700.00. I went with Progressive for $300.00
Nice to here about the other insurance companies. Will contact them next year.
Good luck...Guz

I'm in PA. and have my trike insured for $42,000 replacement value. Plus another $5,000 accessory value. Also have higher limits, especially for under insured and uninsured. Paying $472 with Foremost thru an agent, not AARP. Going thru an agent saved me $100 over the AARP price! Tom :Trike1:

I guess I will shop around. I have Allstate and discovered last week I had $1,000 coverage on accessories. I told the idiot it was a trike up front. He is getting me a quote and I will probably look around.

After reading the above posts I checked my insurance and was supprised what I learned. Basically, everything behind the motor is considered an accessory. I had to boost my accessory coverage to be sure the trike had adequate coverage. I am real glad I learned the lesson here as opposed to needing the insurance and finding out coverage was inadequate. Thanks for the heads up.

Was state farm, $385./year just yamaho road star 1700 2007
went to all state as a trike, added $10.000 value.
Now $340.00/year

Re: Trike insurance

l live in Oklahoma, and insure a 09 vstar 950, 10 vstar 950 11 victory crossroads 106 and my 04 gl 1800 w/motortrike kit. my total insurance annually is $1267.00 of which $648.00 of it is for the trike alone. l have progresive insurance. total value of the three other bikes 37k, total of wing 21k. Anyone see something wrong with this picture?

I feel your pain. I too was a loyal Progressive customer. At the time I had a new V-Star 1100 insured with them. I had just renewed my policy with them about a month before I purchased my new GL1800 Trike. I called them to add the trike to my policy and was told that I would also be incurring an increase on the annual premium of my V-Star!

You read that right. They were going to to raise the rate on my V-Star! I was furious and asked to speak to a supervisor and was told that was correct. Why in the workd would they raise my rate for adding a new bike to my policy? Most companies would give a multi-vehicle discount.

Anyway, I went in search of a new provider. I ended up going with Markel for the motorcycles despite having my home and three cars with State Farm. I was able to insure the bikes for about 50% of the rates quoted by State Farm and actually have higher limits on that plan.

Have been with Markel since 2008 and I am a fan. Just my two cents! Hope everyone has a safe riding season!

Hi I just had my 2002 goldwing triked and am trying to get insurance quotes out here in California and it seems to be rather high progressive was 650 a year and Markel insurance was 598 a year do these prices sound high. and what do most of you Carrie help Gary.

Hi I just had my 2002 goldwing triked and am trying to get insurance quotes out here in California and it seems to be rather high progressive was 650 a year and Markel insurance was 598 a year do these prices sound high. and what do most of you Carrie help Gary.

AARP/Formost saved me about 50%.

Progressive sux. I am with Allstate and have the Ultra Glide insured as a motorcycle with a $12,000 option installed to cover the trike part.

Hey guys... new to the site. IM planning a v8 diesel build this year. My state farm agent said they only insure factory built trikes. Do y'all know of a company that insures homemade trikes!?!?! I have all the other roadblocks for my build cleared. Insurance is the last one.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png