Transmission Shaft Seal Leak

Pakyohmeca

Oct 9, 2012
United States
Hi
Newby here. Recently bought a 2001 BMW LT Hannigan trike. It was advertised on this site. Flew out to Texas and drove home to Florida. After sitting for about a week getting title and license stuff done we noticed a puddle coming from the drive shaft area. After some checking and more riding we have determined that the transmission output shaft seal is leaking. On the BMW this is normally an in bike repair not needing to pull the tranny. On the trike it is a different story. Any experience or suggestions is appreciated. Any one know of a BMW/Hannigan dealer?
Thanks
Paky

Give Hannigan a call for advice on this. Tom :Trike1:

Thanks for the reply.
I have talked with Hannigan several times. They have been very helpful in determining the cause of the leak but it's on the BMW side now. Our local BMW dealer has agreed to look at it but not enthused about it since the they do not a lift for a trike and the Hannigan part needs to be removed. New territory for the local shop.

Paky

Sorry about being so slow to post but I did do the leaking transmission output shaft seal replacement myself and it was no big deal. The Hannigan folks gave me an idea of how to go about removing stuff and from there on it went well. The Hannigan shell took about 3 hours to remove, the Hannigan suspension took another 3-4 hours and the seal emplacement took 5 minutes. It took me about two easy days to put it back together. There are no "gotchas". Everything is straight forward. Now after about 300 miles the shaft area is dry.

Paky

Glad to hear all went well. My hat's off to you for doing the entire job yourself! I've restore 2 antique cars in my time but for some reason, working on the trike intimidates me. :AGGHH: Go figure, lol. ;)

Usually a seal replace is fairly easy as long as you keep centered but if you have done rebuilding it should not be a problem. Tupperware is more the problem and that is what you will paya dealer to remove and install, so since you can handle tools save yourself a lot of money, take your time and learn something about your trike on your own. I have found to take several detailed pictures beforehand helps greatly.

I've done that seal replacement also. Not that bad but I was rebuilding the entire engine & transmission at the time. Kudos for doing it your self.

Goldendragon - It is not wise to meddle in the affairs of dragons for thou art crunchy and good with katsup!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png