+1.5 Oil Pan to Reduce Engine Heat

Mar 18, 2011
chicago,illinois
I've read the threads regarding reducing engine heat and wonder if anyone sees any merit to increasing oil capacity in addition to proper tuning as a solution to the problem. As an ABATE member I have supported Politicians that support Motorcyclists by riding in parades, but it gets to be very uncomfortable with all the engine heat at slow speed. I'm interested in installing a Baker Drivetrain +1.5 oil pan if it will prove cost effective.
Any thoughts or experiences you can share will greatly appreciated!! Russ

there was a thread on this in the past..remember something about the rear belt rubs the +1 pan..may want to check this issue out first and see if this was resolved..??..

Has your bike been tuned yet and the cat removed?? I would do this first before the oil pan..

I had the TG Dyno'd right after I got it in '09 but am looking for a location near Chgo to address the heat issue. JColson was kind enough to give me a recomendation for one near me. I talked to a rep at Baker Drivetrain and the said they addressed the issue with trikes and are now compatible. I haven't found anyone who has had one installed to get real world feedback!!

Yes, the extra oil will help keep the oil cooler - not a whole lot.

I was thinking on doing the same thing - until I saw the price - I almost choked. That was a deal breaker for me, but if money is no object to you then go for it.

I did other things to lower the heat. I'm comfortable now riding in 100+ degree weather.

i installed a baker plus 1 oil pan on ,y '09 tri glide. now i can put in 4 1/2 qts of oil
with a oil filter change (drag long filter. ) the drive belt rubs the oil pan slightly.
like i can spray a coat of paint on the side & the belt will rub it off. i've got 12k on the trike since installing the oil pan and there isn't any damage to the belt. did have the dealer adjust the belt. 7 CALLED BAKER & TOLD THEM & they said they were re- designing the oil pan for the t/g. i can't see how they can do that because the side of the oil pan is flush with the upperbody of the transmission. just like the OEM oil pan.
oh! the scavenger oil drain system won't fit the baker oil pan.
baker oil pan the inlet & oil outlet is at the opposite ends of the oil pan. better oil circulation. they also saib they were going to try & design a oil scavage system for the baker oil pan.

Turn your engine guard into an oil cooler and it holds 1qt. My 02 EGC MT conversion is that way and it holds 5 qts of oil. It was that way when I got it so don't know what it was like before. It doesn't seem to be running hot.

Make sure you take it to a radiator shop and have them flush it out.

SR

eagle1 - Thanks, this is the kind of info I was looking for. Did you notice a difference after you installed it?

sandrooney - Wow what an inovative solution. Any pictures you can share?

I would use a fan assist oil cooler versus the pan..The pan need to have air blow across it to help cool the oil. With the fan assist oil cooler you can run in parades while keeping the oil cooler.

Just my thoughts..

i may go with the ULtra OIL COOLER -Reefer on my Tri Glide..

Turn your engine guard into an oil cooler and it holds 1qt. My 02 EGC MT conversion is that way and it holds 5 qts of oil. It was that way when I got it so don't know what it was like before. It doesn't seem to be running hot.

Make sure you take it to a radiator shop and have them flush it out.

SR
That might work, but that would be nice to bump against on a nice hot day with 250* oil inside. Besides I wouldn't want that blowing on my legs all day....
Also why doesn't Baker put some cooling fins on that pan ? All it has is ribs like Harley. NOT A HEATSINK ! :Trike1:

I've read the threads regarding reducing engine heat and wonder if anyone sees any merit to increasing oil capacity in addition to proper tuning as a solution to the problem. As an ABATE member I have supported Politicians that support Motorcyclists by riding in parades, but it gets to be very uncomfortable with all the engine heat at slow speed. I'm interested in installing a Baker Drivetrain +1.5 oil pan if it will prove cost effective.
Any thoughts or experiences you can share will greatly appreciated!! Russ

You can put 10qt pan on & unless it has an innovative way to get rid of the heat in the oil, all you are doing is making it longer before the oil reaches the same temps. Maybe a little lower just because of mass area of the pan. Baker doesn't put cooling fins on the pan so air can dissipate the heat.
For instance why does the radiator on your car have fins instead of just a solid block ?? It has to cool something ! Go with the Ultra cool & The Wards fans !
Just another thought, wrap your exhaust pipes, & make sure to wrap the crossover behind & almost against the oil pan. :Trike1:

Another thought, check the front drive sprocket on your belt drive. If it is a 32 tooth consider changing to a 30 tooth. HD changed this in 2011. It will give you a better parade idle speed, & also help a lot with hills.
You & Yours
Ride Safe

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png