Powder Coat, or Chrome wheels?

Powder Coated, or Chrome Wheels.

• Powder Coated

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • Chrome

Votes: 34 63.0%

• Total voters
Powdercoat...easiest to clean bike wheels I've ever had!

051.jpg

Both powder coat & chrome are easy to clean---BUT--- powder coat will chip.

If a stone or something else hits your wheels or rims, there is a real good chance that some of the powder coat will chip off.

Powder coat is exactly what it sounds like--Powder with color that is baked on.

There are choices when it comes to chrome & chrome-like coatings.

You have shiny chrome, black chrome, matte chrome, textured chrome and new finishes are being developed all the time.

It's not cheap, but lasts a long time with the proper maintainence.

Good thread. My TriGlide came with uncoated aluminum wheels(%$#@ Harley)
I was investigating getting them chrome plated. No one will warranty the plating because I ride all winter in Chicago area. Will powder coating hold up better in salty areas? What kind of warranty comes with that? Anyone have any ideas or experience? :Shrug:

Does anyone out there have plated wheels and ride in cities that salt the roads and how do your wheels hold up - any problems?

I HATE UNCOATED ALUMINUM WHEELS - POS.
:censored:

I was investigating getting them chrome plated. No one will warranty the plating because I ride all winter in Chicago area. Will powder coating hold up better in salty areas? What kind of warranty comes with that? Anyone have any ideas or experience? :Shrug:

Does anyone out there have plated wheels and ride in cities that salt the roads and how do your wheels hold up - any problems?

Gary, I have chrome plated rims on one car and powder coated rims on the other car and chrome plated rims on the trike and all three are being damaged from the salty air we have as well as the junk they put on the roads in the winter, tough one to control. :AGGHH:
Butch

If you have the time, you can clean the wheels up and have them clear powder coated. We do this with polished aluminum wheels. You still have to clean them but they are a snap.

Both powder coat & chrome are easy to clean---BUT--- powder coat will chip.

If a stone or something else hits your wheels or rims, there is a real good chance that some of the powder coat will chip off.

Powder coat is exactly what it sounds like--Powder with color that is baked on.

There are choices when it comes to chrome & chrome-like coatings.

You have shiny chrome, black chrome, matte chrome, textured chrome and new finishes are being developed all the time.

It's not cheap, but lasts a long time with the proper maintainence.

If the powdercoatin g is done properly like it should be done, it will not chip or scratch, sure you can take a 40lb hammer and hit it and it will chip, but lets see you do that to your chrome wheels and what will happen, let just say this, go to your local Home depot and on the large orange racks that hold up all the lumber there, hit it with a hammer and see if it chips, they are powercoated and done to take abuse,
Just my 2 cents,

I've powder coated several frames on H-D's I've built over the years and haven't had one chip yet BUT I had them done with INDUSTRIAL coating which is the same thing but applied thicker as far as I know no problems last bike was in '97

Chrome is still my choice!

If I had an all black trike then I might consider Power Coat similiar to Rick's Trike.

Our other motorcycles have a lot of chrome. This trike is much easier to clean because of the powdercoat. I think whether you have chrome or powdercoated wheels completely depends on the bike, and should stay in harmony with the overall "look" of the motorcycle.

triggerrear34.jpg

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png