• It appears that you have unread Personal Messages - Please check your inbox!

Recumbent Trike Owners?

Papa Zook

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Over the years, I've noticed quiet a few members who've joined us here and listed their human powered recumbent trike as their trike of choice.....probably found us via a Google search for "trikes" and decided to hang out. Well I'd seen a few of these hi-tech beauties zipping around town and liked the looks of them so when a good deal presented itself, I acquired a nice used one, a Sun X3-AX to get some much needed exercise. Hey, it turns out these things are light, comfortable, fast, and kinda fun to ride!

sunx3ax.jpg

Description:
The Sun X3-AX is a performance trike, but isn't just for performance riders. This trike has some of the same great features as the X3- SX, plus the new Seat Track System with tilt adjustment. With this system, no seat components touch the frame. Also featured is the Mono-Bar tilting and telescoping handlebar system. All three wheels are 20 inches with 100 psi, low-rolling resistance tires for an incredibly smooth, fast and effortless ride. The rear wheels are cambered for stability and tracking, and a durable 24 speed drive train really gets you going. Powerful rear-wheel disc brakes and a linear-pull front brake combine to quickly and easily stop the lightweight 7005 aluminum frame that completes this package. Though it's designed with performance in mind, the X3-AX is perfect for intermediate and casual riders looking for some light touring, commuting or just plain bike path fun.

Specifications:
Frame: 7005 Tig Welded Aluminum
Fork: Full Cro-Mo
Bottom Bracket: Sealed Cartridge 68mm
Crank Set: Sun Bicycles Alloy 170x52/42/30
Front Derailleur: Microshift
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Altus
Rear Shifter: Sram MRX
Front Shifter: Sram MRX
Freewheel: Sram 11-32 8sp
Pedals: Alloy Cage
Front Brake: Promax Aluminum Linear Pull
Rear Brake: Winzip Dual Mech. Disc
Front Brake Lever: Promax Aluminum w/Lock
Rear Brake Lever: Aluminum Linear Dual Pull
Headset: Integrated Sealed Mechanism Aluminum
Handlebar: Alloy w/Telescoping Top Load Stem
Grips: 2-Tone Kraton Gel
Front Hub: Alloy Q/R
Rear Hub: Splined Alloy Trike
Front Rim: Alloy Double Wall Machined w/Eyelets
Rear Rim: Alloy Double Wall Machined w/Eyelets
Spokes: 14g. Stainless Steel
Front Tire: 20x1.25 BW Kenda Kwest 100psi
Rear Tire: 20x1.25 BW Kenda Kwest 100psi
Saddle: Contoured Foam w/Tri-Color Cover
Seat Back: Mesh Cool Back - Alloy Frame w/2 Bottle Mounting Points
Seat Mount: Alloy w/Full Range Tilt Adjustment
Accessories: Smartphone/GPS mount, Flashing Headlight/Dual Tail Lights, Quick-Detach Rear Rack
Total Weight: 42 lbs

Sure looks like a lot of work, I don't know one of those might make me sweat:laugh:.

True dat M3..I might have slightly exaggerated the description of MY pedal trike..not really all that FAST being that I'm the motor. :Crap:

I got a steal on this used one at $350. They are pricey new, but they're hand built in the USA, light and equipped with top shelf components. They're also fast with the right pilot...not me though. You'd have to ride one to know how smooth and effortlessly they ride. The one I got weighs just over 40 lbs which is actually on the heavy end for performance recumbent trikes.

The high end trikes come in at under 30 lbs in aluminum and less than that in carbon fiber and thats the complete trike ready to ride. Most are of the "tadpole" design vs mine which is a "delta" design, two wheels in the back which I like the best as it more closely resembles a conventional trike. The high end trikes can fetch serious coin at $8-$10K and up. The guy had bought a new high end tadpole trike and basically gave me this one.

Hi Randy
I have a KMX Cobra with a Bionx electric motor on it, I plan to build a Corvette Like body on it sometime when I finish working on my RZR
I will send you some pictures

Wayne.

Here you go Wayne..nice setup!

WayneRecumbent1-1.jpg

Wayne & his KMX Cobra "tadpole" design recumbent trike

WayneRecumbent2.jpg

Grandson in the pilot's seat

WayneRecumbent4.jpg

Electronic Display / Telescoping pedal length adjustment

WayneRecumbent3.jpg

Bionx Electric Hub Motor w/Battery Pac

OK Zook.... Picture wanted of you riding your recumbent trike. It will inspire all of us! :D

LOL! I could do that, but I might need the inspiration to work out more. I've been doing way to much fudge making and other Christmas treats!!!!! :D.

I rode a recumbent trike for a long time. It was a complete BLAST to ride. Fully customized with hydraulic brakes, alloy custom built wheels, rear rack and a BoB trailer with a ton of added extras.

TheRigMeAtAPark-11252007-02.jpg

This photo was taken when the temperature was 26 degrees BELOW zero
SunriseBelowZero01012003_02.jpg

Taken during a snowstorm while I was heading to the bike shop
SnowyDay-01112008-04.jpg

I rode a recumbent trike for a long time. It was a complete BLAST to ride. Fully customized with hydraulic brakes, alloy custom built wheels, rear rack and a BoB trailer with a ton of added extras.

This photo was taken when the temperature was 26 degrees BELOW zero
SunriseBelowZero01012003_02.jpg

26 below, now thats hard coreThumbUp.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png