Convex Mirror (Blind Spots)?

rmrc51

Lost In The 50's
Feb 2, 2009
Palmyra, Virginia
Does any one have any experience with this product? (See link below)

It's a screw on convex mirror to hopefully help in spotting vehicles in you blind spots. It's cheap enough (only $10.00 and you save an additional $2.00 if you buy more than one). I know nothing can take the place of turning your head, but a little additional flexibility regarding the side-view mirrors would be nice.

Opinions?

Blind Spot Elimination Mirror - Exterior Accessories - Car Accessories - Griot's Garage

I had them a few years ago on two cars.

After a while I pulled them off & tossed them & replaced with simple stick on round ones.

I thought they would be great, but didn't care for two separate mirrors to look at. The older ones I had also seemed to have inferior plastic housing which began to discolor in the harsh southern sun.

You might like them & be able to get use to the two separate mirror method. The plastic may be better quality with this set. I have been used to using the round ones for too long I think.

Let us know what you decide...

I have a blind spot mirror that was on the trike when I bought it. Don't use it as I would rather turn my head and make sure I am not missing something rather than have a wreck because I didn't see something. JMHO

My take on that is..they are invaluable! I'm a professional driver with more kilometers (miles) under my belt than I care to think about. On my Freightliner there are 5 convex mirrors, 2, 8".. 3, 6".
So, I use them constantly and have small ones.. 3" on ALL my personal vehicles..including my wings.
Yes, ALWAYS do a proper shoulder check, the addition of convex mirrors is another tool that allows one to see from the road surface to the sky...and across all lanes that you are driving on..no matter how many!
It's just a matter of getting used to them as another safety feature & I highly recommend them.ThumbUp

I must say that I have never seen a setup like that, but it looks like a great idea & I will be getting some for my vehicles. I like that you don't lose any mirror space like when I use the stick-on convex mirrors. I put on a pair of split-view mirrors, made by HD, on my TG & I think they worked out great.

Like the blind spot mirrors, and use them, but as mentioned, always do a shoulder check.

A greybeard told me long ago, "Use your mirrors, but trust your eyes."

These are basically the same size as the ones offered by Wingstuff and for less then half the cost. For that price, I'll take the chance. I'll let you all know the outcome. ;)

rs2-flattened.jpg

I'll go you guys one better! I came across this new widescreen parabolic mirror product from the UK and bought one immediately. It is not cheap by any means, but I'm an agressively defensive driver ever since I started riding as of my 14th birthday (a loooong time ago!). As such, the only accidents I've had since were where some ditz slams me in the a$$, so I'm really interested in what's going on behind me, so cost is no object in this matter. This mirror is the best device I've ever seen to do just that, especially as I get older, my neck movements get more restriced. This is not some cheap piece of junk cranked out in some sweat shop in China. It's very well made and should hold up nicely.

I've set it up on my own ride (in a static mode since my Trike isn't finished yet), and I'm delighted with the result. I'm really looking forward to using it on the road. Here's the link to their site in Scotland:

Videos about RiderScan : HunterCreate Ltd

And you can get one via eBay if you'd rather:

riderscan | eBay

BTW, That thumping sound you are hearing is me banging my head against the wall while I keep repeating over and over, "Why didn't I think of that??" Highly recommended! (even though I don't get any commissions!!)

rs2-flattened.jpg

I'll go you guys one better! I came across this new widescreen parabolic mirror product from the UK and bought one immediately. It is not cheap by any means, but I'm an agressively defensive driver ever since I started riding as of my 14th birthday (a loooong time ago!). As such, the only accidents I've had since were where some ditz slams me in the a$$, so I'm really interested in what's going on behind me, so cost is no object in this matter. This mirror is the best device I've ever seen to do just that, especially as I get older, my neck movements get more restriced. This is not some cheap piece of junk cranked out in some sweat shop in China. It's very well made and should hold up nicely.

I've set it up on my own ride (in a static mode since my Trike isn't finished yet), and I'm delighted with the result. I'm really looking forward to using it on the road. Here's the link to their site in Scotland:

Videos about RiderScan : HunterCreate Ltd

And you can get one via eBay if you'd rather:

riderscan | eBay

BTW, That thumping sound you are hearing is me banging my head against the wall while I keep repeating over and over, "Why didn't I think of that??" Highly recommended! (even though I don't get any commissions!!)

That is one impressive mirror! My concern is that I'd have to remove it every time I parked some where because I'm sure, someone would simply remove it from the windshield.

That is one impressive mirror! My concern is that I'd have to remove it every time I parked some where because I'm sure, someone would simply remove it from the windshield.

No problem!! In this our degenerated state of American society, just booby trap the darn thing!!pepper (Anti-PC Disclaimer: I'm kidding of course!!!!)

No problem!! In this our degenerated state of American society, just booby trap the darn thing!!pepper (Anti-PC Disclaimer: I'm kidding of course!!!!)

Bob,

Looking at the video, they also offer a mounting kit for the handle bars. How is yours mounted? If it is screen mounted is it a permanent application? I have the vent in my F4+4 windshield and I wouldn't want to place this mirror in front of the vent, blocking the wind. To install this higher than the vent might be a bit too high blocking forward view.

My thoughts are a handle bar mount (if possible on a GL1800) would be more theft secure. I'm definitely interested in this offering as I'm also very safety conscious! I just might give this a try.

Actually I have a set very similar. They were purchased from a GoldWing Accessories shop. I believe it was in 2009 they were for the white GoldWing at the time which was a real close match to my Stallion. I have them mounted on the underside not the top side.

They work well and no problems with the paint on mine. Any additional area viewing is always a plus. Just don't get dependent on them let your guard down.

I haven't gotten as far as an actual installation, just a "static test lay up" to assure myself it works for me (and it does). I'm leaning towards a low on the windshield install myself. I want it in my field of view at all times -- not just something I refer to once in awhile. It appears to use that 3M style double stick tape intended for auto trimming. Permanent enough for ordinary use, but not a theft proof adhesive by any means.

I mounted those mirrors under the mirrors on my Wing. Not enough adjustment to see any thing in that location.

I intend to mount the mirrors on top of the side views. I have the baker wings underneath. As I mentioned, for 8 bucks a piece it won't be a big deal if they don't work out.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png