Any way to tell if trikes been raked??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 15, 2012
Delray Beach Florida
As I have 2 crappy arms.
More then a few surgeries etc shoulders and arms.
Ive read a large amount of back posts. Most all the posts here saying get it raked.
Blahblah,,,
Im having zero nada no problems steering this trike whatso ever basically one handed.

So my question is this.
Is there any way to tell if its been raked already??
As in measurments or markings.
2010 GL1800 with a MT Adventuer kit.

Please dont say call MT.
Richard has been less then helpful with me so far.
Ive just been trying to get a warrenty on this bike.
Done everything hes asked...................results Nada.......
Im sure hes a very busy guy and the previous owner didnt fill out the paperwork with MT.

I was going to say the way to tell if it is raked is if there are no leaves on it...but I would never make a joke that bad.
Actually, I would think taking a photo of front end and then holding protractor to pic could tell you current rake. Then look up original specs.

Look down below the handlebars and see if it is black or silver. Black is oem and silver mean it's been raked. This is the area the fork tubes go to.

If you mean the tripple tree.
Yes its silver.
I just added a riser kit last week.
This trike has 95% of the options MT offers.

So I guess that answers it and I thank you.

DSC00855.jpg

Last edited:
I'll bet dollars to doughnuts (I forgot doughnuts are over a dollar now!) it is raked-makes no sense that a high dollar kit would be installed, and not the rake kit. The steering would be heavy and some what floppy without a rake kit. If you could post a side front shot, one of of resident experts could prolly tell you from a pic.

When Mine was triked, I noticed that the front fender no longer was "straight". If you look at the "level" part of the fender - the part
that is parallel to the ground - the front is higher than the back of this
"level" part.

With a 4-1/2 rake, it is noticable. BUT I love mine - the lean doesn't make
any difference........

As I have 2 crappy arms.
Ive read a large amount of back posts. Most all the posts here saying get it raked.
Blahblah,,,
Im having zero nada no problems steering this trike whatso ever basically one handed.

So my question is this.

Please dont say call MT.
Im sure hes a very busy guy and the previous owner didnt fill out the paperwork with MT.

I too was unable to get a response from on some questions, so I went with Road Smith.

Here is a picture of the distance from the front cowl to the fender on my 2009 with Roadsmith 5.5 degree kit.

Thanks you for the photo.
I really didnt have a clue what to look at.
Leeeeeme run into the garage and takes a peak.
BRB...................

The front wheel looks really close to the bike itself.
I would expect some distance if it was raked.
But what do I know??
Since I dont really know what Im looking at so heres a pic or 2???

DSC00887_zps0696296b.jpg

DSC00884_zpscbf10956.jpg

As I have 2 crappy arms.
Blahblah,,,

So my question is this.

Please dont say call MT.

Does it matter if it is raked? You said it handles great, even about one handed. If so, and if it is not raked, no reason to rake. If it is raked, it is done. I am the same with mine. Don't know if raked or not, but handles well and no problems, so I am not concerned. jmo

Does it matter if it is raked? You said it handles great, even about one handed. If so, and if it is not raked, no reason to rake. If it is raked, it is done. I am the same with mine. Don't know if raked or not, but handles well and no problems, so I am not concerned. jmo

Well it mattered......to me.
I have no problems at all and Im half crippled.
So I asked a simple question.
In searching here and other forums all the guys say is to get the thing raked and life is a bowl of cherries.

I asked because I dont have any problems and would like to know if it was or not.
Saving me a grand for now...........if I chose to have it done at some future point when or if its needed.

Based on your pics, Jay, I don't think she's been raked!!

I didnt think so.
Ive had in the past raked 2 wheelers and the stance is very different and has in my opinion the opposite effect.
Makes the bike more difficult to turn at times.

The fact that Im not having issues with steering this made me ask.
I thank you for your opinions here on it.

Jay I would also say it is not raked from your picture. Even if you like it now raking will make it handle a lot easier. I have riden many trikes both raked and not. Even though they handled fine not it was so much better raked. When you are ready to have it done may I suggest that you contact "Bazooka" the owner of this forum he will sell you a rake it at a price that is un-matched.

Again, Once more into the breach and my apologies to poor ole bloodied Mr. Ed....(see the other thread of yours )
http://www.triketalk.com/forum/trike-conversion-kit-brands-163/gw-motor-trike-raked-neck-not-13844/

The Primary reason (Necessity) to modifying the Steering Angle-Trail after converting a 2-wheeler to a Trike is not soley to lessen input effort required for push/pull steering. It is to bring the Geometry back into proper proportion and make the Trike "Correct" in that regard. This is a Major concern on any vehicle in motion. Three wheeled vehicles more so than Four wheeled. You wonder about front-end wobble/vibration etc you posted in another thread. That is a direct effect of incorrect Geometry on the Trike. Overall Handling, Performance, Cornering, Safety, name it is adversely effected when a Bike is transformed to a Trike without the Trail modification done in conjunction.

Can you convert without performing this? Yes, there are many things that "can" be done but that doesn't equate to "should" or "OK".
Will the Trike be correct and all it can be in respect to operational aspects already mentioned-No, it will not, it can't be.
*No offense to anyone who chooses to not mod. Just stating facts. Facts are not changed by subjective preference or individual choice.

Do the Triple Mod and enjoy or don't and deal with these and other issues. Your choice. However, live with the ramifications of that choice and move on.

Looking at the pic you posted, without a doubt-It has (?????????) been Triple Tree modified.

*P.s. Edited---- Can't tell "Definitively" by the picture. Provide the measurement. @1.5"=NOT. @3"=YES

I have read through and through this thread. I completely understand and fully agree the reason for raking a trike. But, i didn't see find the answer to the orginal question: How do you tell if a trike is raked or not? Since obviously from this thread the black and silver is not a determining factor.

Reason : I bought a 2006 GL Hannigan, it handles easily and just wondered the same question. Is it raked or not? How can you definitively tell?

Thanks,
Pat

Ride Safe

If you can find a stock 2-wheeler comparable to your trike, measure the distance between the back of the front wheel and the frame of the bike. If your trike shows the same measurement, it has not been raked. If your trike has more space when measuring at the same spot, it has almost certainly been raked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johear65

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johear65
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png