Do you...

Papa Zook

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 14, 2007
Conroe, Texas
...currently own or have owned a BMW trike in the past? What make was the conversion? How did you like it? Pros and cons?

This past September we had my K1200LT converted. The only company I found that makes a kit for any BMW is Hannigan. Top notch kit, excellent quality. I had a west Texas company, Young County Customs, do the conversion after looking at another LT he was doing at the time. I'm very satisfied with the result.

For K1200LT's, your basically down to one choice, Hannigan. I know there are some bolt on conversions but they look awkward and don't blend with the lines of the bike very well. Just my opinion, but I went with the Hannigan/BMW conversion because it is so unique.

I have been riding a 2009 K1200LT Hannigan conversion for a year now and just love it. Bought it used in 2012 with 24,000 miles on the odo. It is my primary transportation and I have also made several multi-day road trips on it.

To me, the Hannigan conversion is top notch. The shock system plus IRS and the BMW LT linked ABS braking makes for a really safe and comfortable ride. Hannigan provides a huge trunk space in that 5 foot rear end. I can pack all of the gear I need for a week or longer on the road without a single bungee pack on the luggage rack or rear seat.

Only thing that pestered me was it took about a half hour to transfer spare gas from the aux tank to the main tank. Sent an email to Hannigan and they recommended upgrading the aux fuel pump with a unit from NAPA auto parts. Now it only takes 15 to 20 minutes. Maybe that was just for the 2009 conversion aux pump, you'd have to check with "Veritas" for that info.

As for the K1200LT, it is a real cruiser. Like riding in a BMW auto without the cage.

Sure, the basic bike has quirks (don't they all), but since I had the clutch replaced and radio repaired, this has been the most enjoyable and dependable bike I've ever owned.

(Better than most of the cars, too).

I have talked to one BMW RT owner who has a CSC trike conversion he seemed happy with. The only others I have seen have all been Hannigans.

This fall I bought a '14 BMW K1600 GTL and had it converted at Hannigan's facility in Murray. KY. I only have about 400 miles on it so far. I am working with Russell Cycle Products to get the seat just right for my 6'5" body.

But, so far I really love it.

I have a Victory Cross Country Tour/CSC conversion I've put about 12,000 miles on that I have really liked (after a Tri Glide I did not care for at all), but I can say that the BMW is in a league all by itself!

The Hannigan that I rode at the Maggie Valley Rally in 2012 sure handled well. A TRIKE TALK Member loaned it to me for a couple of hours. I rode some BRP, then twisty 215....Really liked it. No idea on long term Ownership, but I do know handling when it's under me, and I was very impressed at the time...!!!!!...ThumbUp

2013 BMW K1600 Hannigan Trike. Only other trike I've driven was my 2012 Can Am Spyder RT. Comparing the two, BMW 37 mpg vs. 2012 Can Am 32mpg. BMW lots more power and torque, comfort, and usable storage space, as far as handling goes, I can't say for sure which is capable of higher speeds in the turns because I'm not one to test their limits, but the Hannigan does seem to instill a lot more confidence in me. It feels more planted to the road, while the can-am always seemed a little skittish. The BMW has much better braking as well. Then there is the pride of ownership with the BMW (which now has more millage than the Can Am when I sold it) that has never had any problems since new, while the Can Am came with a suspension manufacturing defect which the dealer I purchased it from would not repair under warranty, and Can AM customer service dept. was unwilling to resolve the problem. Yes I would recommend the Hannigan Motorsports BMW conversion over most other choices of motorcycle conversions in most respects except you may prefer the more luxurious seating on some bikes that are pure touring bikes while the BMW 1600 seat is more sport/touring in nature and design, now a Russel Day Long.

The big front wheel conversion that Hannigan offers on the Honda and BMW is reason enough to choose their conversion over others.

:GL1800:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png