Remaining Fuel Mileage

Nov 8, 2012
Central Texas
2013 Tri Glide
Issue: Remaining miles readout on Odometer sticks at 145, 210, 179, etc after fillup for up to 80 miles before readjusting.

Dealer has already replaced the Fuel Gauge.

Today after putting in 1.5 gallons, Remaining miles on odometer stuck at 163 miles and slowly moved up to 193 miles after approx 14 miles of riding...

Any ideas?

The 2010 Triglide I had did the same thing, I don't think the system they use to track remaining fuel or mileage is very accurate.

Last summer while on a trip to California, I looked at a map and figured a certain junction where we were leaving I-80 at to head south was pretty major and there had to be a gas station there, specially since it was on the interstate. So, passed a coupla chances to fuel up, which was a mistake. Well..Nothing there but a rest area...no choice but to try and make it across some of the most desolate 2 lane Nevada desert you have ever seen to closest town. No cell service. No other vehicles for miles. 107 degrees and no shade as far as you could see...Kept it at 55 to get the best milage. Started to stress out watching the miles remaining verses how far the GPS said I had to go till town. If gas ran out, would not leave TG sitting out there,,, would not send Wife on alone with stranger to get help, nor would I leave her there alone with TG while I went for help. Finally, just as I was about to pee my pants, town came into site just as remaining miles number disappeared, I think at 6 miles left, and it read "need fuel". Sputtered into gas station, took 6.3 gallons in a 6 gallon tank.

So,,,that dial was pretty accurate for me..But that was not a fun way to find that out. That will never happen again.

The bike is off when refueling.

How many Remaining Miles should a Tri Glide be showing on the odometer after filling it up?

My 2011 FLHTK will reset to anywhere from 230-260 miles, within 1/4 mile of pulling away from the pump...

Mine usually shows 150 to 180 depending on how I was riding when I stopped for gas. You have to run for a while after fueling for it to reset, as it will keep calculating according to what you were doing prior to stopping, then it will calculate according to what you are presently doing. Hmmm...Am I making sense??.

Yes, but shouldn't have to run 14 miles, varied speeds, stop and go, prior to it resetting. I have seen Remaining Miles on this TriGlide show anything from 145 miles to 210 miles after filling up prior to the Fuel Guage being replaced. Early December, the Low Fuel Light indicator was on. I filled it up (put in over 5.5 gallons) and the Remaining miles reset and stuck at 145 for almost 80 miles, then it started decreasing..<br />
<br />
Using Harley numbers of 6 gal x38 mpg, the Remaining Miles should easily be showing over 200 miles after a fillup.

Yes, but shouldn't have to run 14 miles, varied speeds, stop and go, prior to it resetting. I have seen Remaining Miles on this TriGlide show anything from 145 miles to 210 miles after filling up prior to the Fuel Guage being replaced. Early December, the Low Fuel Light indicator was on. I filled it up (put in over 5.5 gallons) and the Remaining miles reset and stuck at 145 for almost 80 miles, then it started decreasing..

Using Harley numbers of 6 gal x38 mpg, the Remaining Miles should easily be showing over 200 miles after a fillup.

Just my opinion, but you better figure 32/34 mpg, not 38, or you might run out. It all depends on how you drive though. on my 2009 I fill it up every 160 miles to be safe.

Larry.

larry,
Concur with the lower MPG calculations. If I'm running over 70 (a lot of TX roads are now 75 and higher) this thing sucks gas big time..
Was just using Harley numbers as reference to show there's a reoccuring issue on this TriGlide..

Our '09 and '11 do the same thing. The gage doesn't reset immediately, but it does reset eventually. Frankly, 20 miles after fill-up I'm not looking anyway. Sometimes you will get more gas in the tank than others. My F-150 needs to see at least 6 gallons going in before it recognizes new gas or changes the miles to empty reading. The miles to empty will change depending on the last couple of fill-ups. It is based on fuel usage and is an average. We have also run both trikes to the 'fumes' area and the fill-up was pretty close to what the gage said.

Good Luck, and don't let something like this spoil your riding experience.

Mine shows about 209 after a fill up. I have let it get down to 11 miles once before. Most of the time I refill as soon as it hits about 30 and the low fuel light comes on.

If i fill the tank right to the top, It will read 205/210 miles, When it gos down to 11 miles' It will stop reading miles and change over to read low, At that point there's about 1/2 gal left in the tank.
11 T/G

Update: Last night after work went for a ride..Started bike R was on 193, rode about 5 miles and it went up to 194 and then started dropping...It's at 99 right now...so gonna ride it to Low Fuel light comes on and fill it up. Thinking Dealership didn't reset the ECM when they replaced the fuel guage and it will take a couple of fillups for it to reset.
I sorta remember back when I bought it few months ago it was filled and R was at 210. Will see how next couple of weeks go before deciding to take back to dealership...:)

To really fill it up takes quite a long time. I can vary a reset from176-226 miles to go depending on how high I top off the tank. I find the gas will go down when filling up if I rock the TG. Allows me to put in over a 1/2 gallon more. A friend has the same issue on his Ultra. It seems the way they mounted the tank and the shape.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png