SS tire balance beads?

americanbadass

Oct 18, 2011
salt lake city, ut
Looking for opinions on tire balance beads-in reasearching the options, the stainless steel beads look like they might hold up better than glassbeads. Any opinions would be appreciated and thanks! :Shrug:

Get some small balls from a bearing suply company and see what happens

I don't think it will work, that just my opinien.

I've used the ceremic beads for 3 years now, in the tri-glide, both trailers and the rzr. When I get new tries for the truck next fall I will use them. I got 22 thousand miles on the trike front tire and probably would have got another 2 or so but I was going on an extended trip and didn't want to chance it. On my 7 x 12 flatbed I had a vibration at 40 mph, went through all the checks and everything was ok, installed the beads and the vibration went away. Had the same problem on the 7 x 12 tandem v-nose only at towing speeds 55 - 60, pulled the wheel weights off, installed the beads and now no problem loaded or empty.

Go with the ceramic, they are only way to go. I've used the power, it works till you get moisture when adding air, then it gets abrasive and wears the tire out from the inside. I think that the SS balls would do the same, only because I've not seen them teflon coated and I doubt that the Teflon would hold up over time.

I have the beads on my front MPA (reverse mounted) and they are great. My Goldwing only shop advise I use them.

Regards,

Rosy
From NH

Go with the ceramic, they are only way to go. I've used the power, it works till you get moisture when adding air, then it gets abrasive and wears the tire out from the inside. I think that the SS balls would do the same, only because I've not seen them teflon coated and I doubt that the Teflon would hold up over time.

INTERESTING.....the mfg of the SS beads (teflon coated) says tat the ceramic beads shear off after time, and the jagged edjes create wear inside the tire. They claim the SS beads don't shear off. :Shrug:

Maybe somebody two wheeler or trike owner will chime in with results of wear on the beads after 30,000 miles or when the tire was replaced. That would be proof of how the beads stood up after long wear. I would love to SEE proof, not hearsay.
Let's hope somebody has that info!

Regards,

Rosy
From NH

Here's another option Centramatic is making balancers for certain model trikes. I'm not sure which, but they sponsor a show weekly on Sirius/XM. They mount outside the wheel.

I've used the ceremic beads for 3 years now, in the tri-glide, both trailers and the rzr. When I get new tries for the truck next fall I will use them. I got 22 thousand miles on the trike front tire and probably would have got another 2 or so but I was going on an extended trip and didn't want to chance it. On my 7 x 12 flatbed I had a vibration at 40 mph, went through all the checks and everything was ok, installed the beads and the vibration went away. Had the same problem on the 7 x 12 tandem v-nose only at towing speeds 55 - 60, pulled the wheel weights off, installed the beads and now no problem loaded or empty.

Bruce,
Have you taken a tire apart to see what the beads look like after long wear? If you did were the beads whole or broken, like one manufacturer said they would be after prolong use.
Thanks for the input!

Regards,

Rosy
from NH

Don't have the beads in trike tires, but have a 20' tandem trailer that had vibration, installed the recommended glass beads in all four tires and the vibration is gone and the trailer pulls great.

took the beads out of my worn out tires and put them in the new ones, they looked fine , and are still performing well.

rustic bob,
About how many miles do you think you had on the tires when you looked at the beads before mounting your new tire? Did you noticed the inside of your used tire, was it cut like the other manufacturer said it would be when the ceramic beads get old?
I think this is the first report on "used" beads that I have read. Hopefully some other riders will chime in and tell their story to see which manufacturer is correct.
Thanks for providing this info rustic bob.

Regards,

Rosy
From NH

PS. I will send Venco Wings (my Goldwing only shop) in NH an e-mail and ask Jim what he has seem when replacing the ceramic beads.

Last edited:
rustic bob,
About how many miles do you think you had on the tires when you looked at the beads before mounting your new tire? Did you noticed the inside of your used tire, was it cut like the other manufacturer said it would be when the ceramic beads get old?
I think this is the first report on "used" beads that I have read. Hopefully some other riders will chime in and tell their story to see which manufacturer is correct.
Thanks for providing this info rustic bob.

Regards,

Rosy
From NH

PS. I will send Venco Wings (my Goldwing only shop) in NH an e-mail and ask Jim what he has seem when replacing the ceramic beads.

I've used Dyna-Beads (cermaic) for several years now. I to harvest and reuse the beads when I can get the tire people to remember.... Other then being a bit dirty the beads were just fine. Once I actually cut the face out of a front tire to save the beads. The inside of the tire looked just like any other tire.

Gold Rush,

Thank you very much for this information. I just don't understand why manufacturers make such statements. I guess they want to promote their products and maybe in some cases they do break into shards, but why not say so.

Regards,

Rosy
From NH

The ceramic balancing beads have been used for years and millions of miles in semi trucks. I've had great success with them when my Wing was bike. Now I use centramatics on the front wheel because I have to change tires so frequently since I wear them down quickly in the Arkansas twisties.

My ST1300 had the beads installed with new tires and ride is velvet at any speed.

I can't stand the thought of anything rattling around inside my tires. I thought the standard wheel weights were fine. Then I had all this SS money laying around so I thought I'd use it to to buy the Centramatic system.

To tell the gods honest truth, I can't really tell the difference between the wheel weights and the Centramatic, but I don't havt any ugly weights on the wheels.

GaryD,
I'll tell you what, in a few miles let me know how the cupping and wear is with the new weights. I know at first the balancing seemed the same, but as I look at the tires with my ceramic beads, wow, no sign of cupping and the wear, what wear?!
So, I have written down at what milage the MPA front was put on and I will see what it looks like after a few thousand miles. According to other web sites and this one, milage should be a whole lot better.

Regards,

Rosy
From NH

I have a reply from Venco Wings, Jim says he has never seen the ceramic beads shard. He also stated the other company is trying to get and edge because they cost 4 X as much. That would explain why they are saying the ceramic beads break into shards.
So, we have one dealer who says ceramic beads are OK to use.
Is there anyone else on the TT site who has ceramic beads balancing their tires?
Thanks.

Regards,

Rosy
From NH

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png