battery life

We also have a 2010 TG, and I'm kinda doing my own "experiment" if you will with our battery. After every time we ride, I plug the battery back in the tender, no matter what the temperature is outside. I asked the tech's at my local dealer if they think it would extend the life of the battery and they said for sure. It certainly can't hurt it, so we'll see how long it lasts!!:Shrug:

Battery's are Mysterious Black boxes, Some will last 7 years, others will only last 2 years:Shrug: But when when they do give up the ghost ,Its usually sudden and away from home.:AGGHH:

I just replaced the orig. battery in my 2010 H.D. trike yesterday - still
some life in it but after sitting for about 5 weeks it just barely turned
over - I thought it best to replace now rather than on the road!
:gah:

Funny I should see this thread today.

After having my trike sit for a few months due to a combination of bad weather, heavy work schedule, other commitments and at times laziness, I was all ready to take her out today for a nice long ride with the beautiful weather.

Wouldn't you know it,,, the battery is just about dead! She won't even turn over when you press the start button. My little LED volt meter is only showing the first red LED. And I had a 'Battery Tender' hooked up all this time as well. This battery is probably the original and I had intentions of replacing it any way. So,,, what's the BEST battery out there for a GL1800?????

Take this suggestion and save yourself some grief. Every three years switch your battery out. Like the gentleman said, some last 2 yrs and some last 7. Nothing is worse than to be on a trip or a ride and have the battery die. And when they die most do not give you a warning. It's not worth the headache to have to worry about it. I usually buy a Harley battery for my Ultra and a Westco, for my "other" bike. (I understand I'm not permitted to mention it on this site)

Take this suggestion and save yourself some grief. Every three years switch your battery out. Like the gentleman said, some last 2 yrs and some last 7. Nothing is worse than to be on a trip or a ride and have the battery die. And when they die most do not give you a warning. It's not worth the headache to have to worry about it. I usually buy a Harley battery for my Ultra and a Westco, for my "other" bike. (I understand I'm not permitted to mention it on this site)

Somewhat agree with a 3 year dynamic. Only problem with that is, most of us a busy tryin to squeeze evrything possible out of a dollar.
My Hd mechanic says a good rule of thumbThumbUp, is to test you battery every year or two-if it is not putting out at least 13 volts, time to think about a new one. I have had batteries be fine one day and go out the next, even in warm weather.:D

Had the same problem last year with my battery tender..I would recommend un plugging them and replugging them back in..I dont trust them anymore..Killed my battery last year but was about to get it recharged and still using the battery alomost 3 years now..

Had the same problem last year with my battery tender..I would recommend un plugging them and replugging them back in..I dont trust them anymore..Killed my battery last year but was about to get it recharged and still using the battery alomost 3 years now..

^^^^ This I think sometimes the circuit inside the tender gets stuck, and needs to be re booted by unplugging.

I have three Battery Tenders going. One for the battery on the generator, one for the 57 Chevy and the other for the trike. I'll go out to the garage now and unplug all of them, let hem sit for awhile and plug them back in. Thanks for the tip. ThumbUp

I'm considering the SHORAI Lithium battery. It's a bit expensive, but it just might be worth it regarding it's supposed longevity and cranking amps. We'll see,,,.

See specs below;

===========================================

Duration Recommendation: LFX27L3-BS12

The LFX Duration recommendation is for those who want the strongest possible cranking performance and lifespan, and don’t mind a slight increase in weight and cost compared to the standard recommendation. Users with extra electrical accessories - like stereo systems used regularly when the vehicle isn’t running - may also choose the duration suggestion. This LFX battery is 6.51 Lbs. lighter than the lead-acid YTX20L-BS.

Specifications
Cranking CCA (A):
Weight (grams):
Weight (lbs.):

Why Choose Shorai LFX?

Ultra light. One Fifth the weight of lead-acid batteries on average
Zero sulfation, for longer service life
Holds unloaded charge for one year without maintenance
Military spec Carbon Composite Case
Faster cranking for better starts
Super-fast recharge rate
No explosive gasses during charge, no lead, no acid
Environmentally friendly
Three-Year Warranty!

I'm considering the SHORAI Lithium battery. It's a bit expensive, but it just might be worth it regarding it's supposed longevity and cranking amps. We'll see,,,.

See specs below;

The LFX Duration recommendation is for those who want the strongest possible cranking performance and lifespan, and don’t mind a slight increase in weight and cost compared to the standard recommendation. Users with extra electrical accessories - like stereo systems used regularly when the vehicle isn’t running - may also choose the duration suggestion. This LFX battery is 6.51 Lbs. lighter than the lead-acid YTX20L-BS.

Rich, please let us know if you get one of them gold plated batteries. I have a Stratoliner (yamaha), that is due for a battery-and I am also thinking about one. They cost about 2-3 times more than a lead acid, but the cranking amps and smaller size, and duration, are appealing for sure.

See specs below;

Rich, please let us know if you get one of them gold plated batteries. I have a Stratoliner (yamaha), that is due for a battery-and I am also thinking about one. They cost about 2-3 times more than a lead acid, but the cranking amps and smaller size, and duration, are appealing for sure.

I'll let you know if I'm going to order one. I'm going to make some phone calls tomorrow for more information and decide then. Some fellas on the GL1800 forum mentioned that these batteries have problems starting the bikes below 40 degrees. I find that a bit hard to believe. I fully trust the service manager where I've gotten my trikes serviced for the past few years. I'll see what he recommends and his views on the Lithium batteries.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
astrocreep

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
astrocreep
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png