Rear tire width

pigbike

Apr 12, 2012
Odessa, Florida
I have very wide tires on my Lehman trike. They are 245/50/15 and look good, however the steering is tough even with the Lehman raked trees. Would it improve the handling and steering to go with a narrower tire?
TheBikes030_zps27255d5d.jpg

I have very wide tires on my Lehman trike. They are 245/50/15 and look good, however the steering is tough even with the Lehman raked trees. Would it improve the handling and steering to go with a narrower tire?
TheBikes030_zps27255d5d.jpg

The change that Lehman made to the tire sizes it uses was to improve the ride harshness. They went to a 205/70/15 with 20psi and it really decreased rolling resistance and increased wet weather traction. The front air pressure should be increased to 40psi for easier steering. Reducing the tread width in the rear would not improve stability nor should it ease the steering provided the tires are properly inflated.

HD recommends 36# of air in the front tire on the TG. I don't really find it very hard to steer. I would think 36# should be good for your conversion.

I keep the front tire air pressure at the recommended level, which I think is 36 or 38 lbs. I will try 40 lbs, but don't think that will solve the problem. As I purchased the trike used and the original owner had all the work done I am wondering about the trees. I have a receipt from a Harley dealer that shows the trees were replaced, but I wonder if they were. I can't find any marking on them as to Lehman or HD manufacture. They are painted black. The trike is a 2005. Is there a way to tell the trees apart?

Take a picture of the distance between the rear of the front fender and the front of the motor . Make sure the front wheel is straight. Take it from the side. That distance will show if it raked or not.

I keep the front tire air pressure at the recommended level, which I think is 36 or 38 lbs. I will try 40 lbs, but don't think that will solve the problem. As I purchased the trike used and the original owner had all the work done I am wondering about the trees. I have a receipt from a Harley dealer that shows the trees were replaced, but I wonder if they were. I can't find any marking on them as to Lehman or HD manufacture. They are painted black. The trike is a 2005. Is there a way to tell the trees apart?

The triple tree that Lehman uses is an HHI unit of 3 degrees. It is aluminim and natural in color. It sounds like you have the stock tree and putting a 3 or 4 degree tree will make it a lot easier to steer.

Id go with the HHI 5 degree for the FLH Harley. Thats what all the manufacturers use now days and thats what I sell all my customers and dealers, an HHI built 5 degree. It will make a world of difference.

The paperwork I received with the trike shows a triple tree kit LCK5039 that was $999.00. I am guessing tha the LCK refers to Lehman Corp Kit or something like that. This is from HD of Washington where the work was done. It also shows $1295.00 for a reverse kit on the same bill which it has a Champion Reverse. This work was done in 02/06.

Possibly the trees were black at one time??

I measured the front end distance from the front lower of the crash bar to the center of the front axle and it was 18" on both sides. I also measured the same on my 1990 Ultra 2 wheeler and it was 17 1/4" on both sides.

I don't know if the rake would only move the tire out 3/4".

I took a photos as suggested

You can tell by looking at front fender. Outer edge area of fender under "Ultra Glide" should be horizonal with stock tree and rake, it will kick up slightly but noticably toward front of fender with raked tree. The whole fender will sit at a slight angle tilting up toward the front of the fender.

Looks like it is raked . 3deg is not a lot. The fender does look tipped up in front. Min I would rake is 4 1/2 deg

Re: Rear tire width/ rake pics

These might show the front fender better. They are next to my 1990 2 wheeler which is on it's side stand.

Those wide tires look good, but be very careful on wet roads, because any standing water could cause them to hydroplane since a trike has minimal weight over the tires as compared to a car. After totaling my pick-up due to hydroplaning going only 55 mph and hitting standing water I'm very leary of wet roads, especially on the trike which like a pick-up is very light over the rear wheels.

I run Bridgestone MS 235/70R 15 on rear of my Valkyrie Interstate and yes one should always drive accordingly in weather conditions.
I like the bigger size as it fills wheel wells and at 22 psi I get good grip in corners.
Terry

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png