• It appears that you have unread Personal Messages - Please check your inbox!

Trunk lock on Hannigan kit

Reaction score
I have had issues with the trunk lock on my Hannigan kit since I got it. At first the key felt pretty rough going in and out of the lock mechanism. I used some WD-40 and that helped a bit but after a while the same old thing....felt rough. This weekend I could not access the trunk because the key would not go in at all. When i got home I put in some more WD-40 and worked it for about 15 minutes or so, then it worked.....not good but it did open the lock. I removed the lock and now am concerned about putting it back on thinking I would probably run into the same thing on the road.
Anyone know of a different lock I can use, one that is made better?

Same happened to me on the road. Hannigan trunk lock does not come with a cover, and rain water gets into the mechanism. Brought WD-40 with me, but guess where I kept it. You got it in the trunk! :AGGHH: Fortunately, a fellow biker let me use his WD-40. Stopped by Hannigan factory to get new brakes, and told them of my issue. They put a flip up cover over the lock to keep out rain water. Continued to have difficulties with trunk lock on way home, so requested a new lock from Hannigan, which I installed myself. Hopefully problem is behind us.

If WD40 works it sounds like a lubricant issue.I would suggest a lubricant made for locks.I use graphite and have never had a problem.
Hope this helps,
Tip

My friend B2Dad over at VR had the same issues with his trunk lock. On my 05 Tri-Wing they use similar locks but they can be left in an unlocked position allowing you to open and close the trunk without a key. Never had a problem with mine during the 5 years I had it. I bought him one for his bike and he loves it. No issues with it after over a year either. Very pricey at $40 including shipping from western Canada. I've looked online for a source for that size and style but come up empty unless you was to but at wholesale prices and quantities.
Having a cover over the key hole is good thou.
Larry

I use white lithium grease onall my locks and on the trike locks and NEVER ever have a problem even in the rain and ice. Just fill the lock full and work the grease all around by working the key in and out and turning a few times and then all is good.
Yes the key gets a little grease on it , but that is what a rag is for.

I just didnt like using the key all the time so I put a nice chrome T handle on mine with a lock. But I dont have to lock it every time to close it. I got it on ebay they sell for $6.06 and shipping is $5.15.The cam blade is smooth flat metal I just matched it to mine and cut it with a hatch saw or just a file it doesn't take much work. but you can tweek it to open just right with little work. now i can close it without locking it everytime. the guy that put my triketogether thought that what hannigan should use all the time. It really goes nice with the trike . sorry I don't have a picture of it but just look up t-handle cam lock chrome.

and you also have to file the hole in the trunk just a little . the hole is like 7/8" and the cam is 1" . know big deal. For all the times I had to go back into the trunk for the the wife it was well worth it. not having to lock and unlock. just turn the handle.

Yea Tri Wing put two in the kit I bought. Don't have that bike anymore due to getting "T" boned last Sept. A week from today my 09 replacment will be at Hannigan's getting converted.
Larry

I'm having the same problem as everyone else with that lock. Considering one of these so I can chuck the key type lock altogether. Anyone use this type or any thoughts?

I have the 2009 RSV - and since the first day - I have been having the same problem. I just insert the key slowing - and it works with no problem. I will change it this year most definitely. I have been procrastinating - but will change it. Like MOTOADVRIDER - I used WD 40 - and it worked like a champ for a while. Every now and then the key will give a problem.

I'm having the same problem as everyone else with that lock. Considering one of these so I can chuck the key type lock altogether. Anyone use this type or any thoughts?

That's the lock the installer put on my trike from the start. It's worked perfectly for 5 years now. Don't have to lock it if I don't want to. Just need to remember my combination or see it in low light. I'm happy with it.

ciao homeless

That's the lock the installer put on my trike from the start. It's worked perfectly for 5 years now. Don't have to lock it if I don't want to. Just need to remember my combination or see it in low light. I'm happy with it.

ciao homeless
Kinda like the idea of no key to lose but hadn't thought of the low light situation, hhhmmm, maybe I'll send for that one too then decide which one I like better!!

I like the t handle cuz it gives you leverage when turning. You can apply a little down pressure because of the foam rubber when turning open or closed. and you don't have to lock it until you get where your going to park it and walk away. It will really out last the key turning on the original lock for sure. I'll send a picture of mine maybe tommorrow if I can figure out how to get it from my phone to here. If you have any questions on the install give me a call 1-507-412-1425. I'd be glad to help!

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png