Trailer to haul trike

the paparazzi

Jan 21, 2013
Auburn California
Hi all: I am in the process of having my Venture triked in Salt Lake City about a 1,000 miles from my home. Getting the bike to the dealer presents no problem I have a trailer to do that, but I would like to haul the trike back the 1,000 miles if possible. What would be great of course is if someone close to or with in a reasonable distance to central California had a trike trailer that they wouldn't mind me using and of course they would be compensated. However, If that is not possible then my next step would be to rent a trailer. I know covered with a 6ft wide bed along with a ramp would best, and of course some means of strapping the puppy down.. I am thinking U-haul or any other trailer rental agencies. I know from reading suggestions on this forum its best not to cover the trike in a open trailer due to finish damage, and I am aware that riding it back is another option but March is not a good time, the weather conditions over Sierra Nevada mountains at 7,000 thousand feet can be very unforgiving to say the least. So with that, I'm opening the door to any and all suggestions, they would be appreciated.

"The Paparazzi"

Bear in mind that a 6' wide enclosed trailer has a door opening of only about 5 ft. I had to buy a 7ft wide trailer in order to get a 6ft wide opening. My trike is 62inches wide and that seems like a tight squeeze in the 6ft opening.

Bob: Appreciate your input.. So far what I have found was a U-Haul 6x12 called a RV ( for some unknown reason) and they only started to build these things last year 2012 so they are new for U-Haul... The doors swing out for loading (no ramp) and the inside measurement of the doors open is 64&1/2" my Hannigan kit requires 62" like yours and damn close fit if you ask me. It is in-closed and does not have a ramp but is only about 12" from the ground, so I would have to improvise some type of ramp along with moving the tongue of the trailer up to lower the rear of the unit. It does have several tie downs that are located down low to secure the trike in the trailer at good thing, but I would also have to improvise some type of wheel caulks to keep the bike from leap fogging. The other thing is it looks like and built like a tank. Say good by to any type of mileage pulling this thing..... I am still at this time looking into other options.

"The Paparazzi"

Well I have hunted all over the place in order to EDIT this last post. I know its easy but I failed....Share with me if you wish..
However please substitute the word fogging to frogging and caulks to chocks..........Damn

"The Paparazzi"

You are the only one that can edit it .. If you insist on correcting it, not necessary. Go to the bottom of your message an it should have an edit button

I have a trailer like that and my CSC trike fit in fine. You just have to pay attention and go slow.

IMG_6422.jpg

I have a locking chock that I got at Harbor Freight in the front and I use soft ties to secure the lower triple tree to the mount.

I also have cross ties from the trailer hitch to the side tie down rails with tie downs. I have never had a problem and we've hauled it thousands of miles.

By the way - DO NOT leave the trike in gear ! The back and forth movement (if any) will rub the pistons up and down in the bores with no lubrication - not a good thing.

IMG_6472.jpg

IMG_6438.jpg

Post #2 looks like the best option to me. An extra day on [mostly] lightly traveled roads at a pleasant time of year (on the route suggested) would provide a great opportunity to bond with the vehicle and save money to boot. No truck to feed and no trailer to rent. I've picked up a number of vehicles 1000 to 2400 miles away and had a ball doing it.

Another option is to buy a decent 7x10 open trailer to haul your trike home. Once you get it home,sell the trailer. I've never had one of my trailers on the market for more than a few days before it sold. Someone's always looking for one.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png