Road Smith Fuel Leak?

bikerbillone

3000+ Posts
Reaction score
Posted this over on the the gl1800 forum, but might be better to post on the Trike Forum. My less than two month + RS conversion auxillary fuel tank has developed a slow drip fuel leak where the brass fitting screws into the ABS plastic tank. Rode it over to Daytona RS Trike Shop today. Tech called Bear Lake Corporate, he has to replace the tank. That's a full day job that requires my hanging out. Maybe they will give me a loaner to ride around Daytona Beach. Any other RS owners experienced this problem?

Definitely sounds like an installer issue more then a faulty auxiliary fuel tank. The trike body has to be removed to change the aux tank. :xzqxz:

Definitely sounds like an installer issue more then a faulty auxiliary fuel tank. The trike body has to be r emoved to change the aux tank. :xzqxz:

Not an installer fault, these folks are the 'original' of the RS installers and do good work, but yes an issue for them. RS contracts with an outside builder for all their aux tanks, so it's a QC problem with the outside contractor. This cannot make Road Smith very happy because this becomes very costly for Road Smith. As you mentioned, the entire body has to be removed. They probably could have figured out some fix without removing the tank, but that might create a liability and they sure don't want that. So, an inconvenience to me as well since The Trike Shop is over 90 miles for me one way, no cost to me except inconvenience and fuel cost. Makes me look in the rear view mirror 'cause Motor Trike is about 20 minutes from me. I just didn't like the drive line maintenance on MT.

Still installer boo boo, he checked it, it passed his inspection. He let it out the door.

Why is everything always someone elses fault.

Not an installer fault, these folks are the 'original' of the RS installers and do good work, but yes an issue for them. RS contracts with an outside builder for all their aux tanks, so it's a QC problem with the outside contractor. This cannot make Road Smith very happy because this becomes very costly for Road Smith. As you mentioned, the entire body has to be removed. They probably could have figured out some fix without removing the tank, but that might create a liability and they sure don't want that. So, an inconvenience to me as well since The Trike Shop is over 90 miles for me one way, no cost to me except inconvenience and fuel cost. Makes me look in the rear view mirror 'cause Motor Trike is about 20 minutes from me. I just didn't like the drive line maintenance on MT.

BB1

I didn't believe MT has an auxillary fuel tank! Am I wrong about that?

Was recently in a Phoenix dealership and they were taking an older trike apart (off warranty) to fix a fuel leak problem - looked like an expensive job. They felt that a gravity feed approach with an auxillary tank was much more reliable.

I'm curious about the frequency of fuel problems with auxillary tanks and which make is best?

This is a Road Smith conversion, 'bout two months now. Seems it was there from day one, just seemed to get progressive worse, as a slow drip sort of thing. New tank on order and will get it done soon after Bike Week Daytona. That's an all day job for the tech guys. Analyzed as an "out sourced" supplier problem, leak originating at the tank aux fuel supply copper coupler. Not a recall, I guess just one of those things that "happens". There was no optional "fix" without a total replacement of the tank assembly. They felt it was a liability problem being way to close to the exhaust system. Give them credit for stepping up to the plate and doing a total fix, although it's a day of just hanging out in Daytona.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png