harbor freight trailers

geraldlanc

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the harbor freight utility trailers. I am looking for a pull behind for my GW trike. The question I have is; are the tires good for highway speeds on long trips? I plan on adding a car top carrier for stuff, but will not overload it.
Gerald

It has been many years since I had mine but I puleed one behind my 79 Goldwing for many years. I built a very nice looking box out of redwood tonge & groove. I tried to relocate the axle once, but it was evident that it was in the right location in the first place. So, I had very good luck with mine.

I had this one a few years ago and did not have any problems with it at all. Pulled at 75-80 mph with no issues. I did remove one of the 2 springs on each side as I built it. Watch for the sales and use the coupons. I paid $294.00 for my kit out the door.

78" Tag-Along Trailer - 600 Lb. Capacity

I have had mine about 2 yrs now and have had no problems. I also took out 2 of the springs so when loaded lightly it doesn't bounce. The price is right and they look fine also.

>Does anyone have experience with the harbor freight utility trailers. ... are the tires good for highway speeds on long trips? I plan on adding a car top carrier ....

I built one a year or two ago. The trailer I bought (used) needed to be narrowed and have the tongue shortened. When I was done, it turned out to be real close to the Tag-Along trailer they now sell. It towed fine up to 70 or so mph. I didn't try any faster. Hardly knew t was there. The tires were fine, had no problems or concerns.

The wheel bearings, however, were not. They were lubed only with a thin coat of cosmoline and one was starting to rust. I replaced all four, along with the seals, with american-made pieces and lubed them with synthetic wheel bearing grease. Again, no problems or concerns. I agree with removing the extra spring leaves and slipping some hose over the shackles. I think they work just fine, and are a bargain, especially on sale with a 20% coupon. Good luck with it.

Some friends and me bought a trailer about five years ago like you are talking about. It has been pulled several thousands miles and to my knowlegde nothing has been done to it other that the yearly maintenance. Original tires are still on it.

Harbor F. tagalong best bang for the buck. I built my own using H.F. 4 & 6 trailer, removed one leave from springs and repacked wheel bearings with better grease. 8 inch wheels never got warm and after 3000 miles look as new kept them at 18lbs. I like wider stance of this trailer very stable and rides great no bouncing even unloaded.

If you choose to build your own I'd suggest pulling a leaf or two from the springs and make sure you check the wheels. I helped a friend build one last year and the supplied wheels were so warped that the trailer shook like crazy. He took the wheels in and they exchanged them and all was good.

The trailers from Harbor Freight now have a 45mph speed restriction, they cost 189.00 for the frame and wheels, I was told you could put different wheels and bearings on and pull it as fast as you want. good luck.

People ignore the tag-along speed restriction (55 MPH) and never have any issues. The wheel bearings MUST be repacked with real grease as soon as you get it, though.

Saw one of the tag-along trailers last Saturday. It looks a lot like my Piggy Backer but is smaller, has smaller tires, shorter tongue, and does not have the torsion bar axles but it looked pretty good for the money. On sale at HF for $399.

I have used my HF trailer for 3 years now, dont even know its there so when i get the trike back i dont think it will be any different. I didnt pull the spriings at all im a bit heavy around 300lbs empty. I did make my own axle and used harley wheels.

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 175
I built one a few years ago. I narrowed it and took out leafs out and it towed find at any speed. I made the tongue out of aluminum conduit so it would be longer and used the braces off of a old step ladder so the lid on the car top carrier would open wider. If I made another one I would build the box instead of the car top carrier

View attachment 9241

This is our harbor freight trailer.We build a box for sale that mounts directly to a harbor freight 40x48 trailer. We pulled ours 75 mph from Fl. to Tn last weekend. Repacked the bearings using synthetic wheel bearing grease and removed the center leaf in the spring pack. Checked the hubs and the tires for heat at every stop. No problems,the trailer pulled great.

Attachments

• 2014-04-17 14.25.29.jpg
    2014-04-17 14.25.29.jpg
    621.1 KB · Views: 151

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png