My NJ Gov't @ work - Personal Plates

87Trike1200

TOI - New Jersey
Feb 23, 2008
The Jersey Shore
Recently, (prevoked by a recent "thread" on TT), we looked into personal m/c plates for NJ. $50 one time fee plus the regular yearly renewal. First I had to wait a week or so for a State issued ID to "allow" me to order on line. Then I realized we needed a 2nd online ID because my wife's plate is in her name and I'm not allowed to order her's - she has to order it. Another week for 2nd ID. The $50 turned into 51.50 with the processing fee for online payment (times 2 plates = $103).

After selecting what you want on the plate, it is submitted for "approval" with payment up front. If for some reason you selection is not approved, your payment will be refunded "within one OR two cc billing cycles" (amazing, why not wait until it's approved before billing?).

Anyway, sure enough, we were approved. We got email notification, that our plates were being "manufactured" and we should allow 8 - 10 WEEKS for manufacture (then shipping).

I guess there's a "heavy backlog" at whatever prison they're made at.

Imagine if you ordered a little "B.S."

item like this from a "real business" and were told 8-10 weeks, you'd probably be looking for another supplier.

Even though I'm in no hurry (I'd rather have warmer weather), I just thought the "system" is amazing and wanted to share. :Shrug:

First time dealing with the DMV:Shrug:
That's just the way they work., It's not like you can go to another business and get plates. They got you buy:gah: The you know what!!
The first Trike i bought was from a dealer in PA And when i went to register it in NJ.,[ A Spyder 5 years ago.]
They told me at the DMV That it can't be registered for street use.
After a sight fight with a clerk, Who ran away saying i can't handle this I'm taking a break, A supervisor came over and finally figured out they are street legal. [After a few calls to Trenton]

There really isn't much you can do, is there?

When I went to pick up my "new" (kept my old one used on previous bikes) plates for the TriGlide, I almost had a heart attack at the cost. I was figuring around $400 - $500, but I wasn't even close with that estimate. They cost a whopping $775!!! :gah::gah::gah:

Is that what it costs in other states or is Colorado above average?

In Florida there is a yearly fee on personalized plates besides the regular fee. And after the first year you are just putting a sticker on it. I drop my personized tag.

58 Dollars, Per year for Regular plates In NJ.

I just renewed the registration for my trike on 2/16/13 and it was $65.00, same as last year when it was 2 wheeled. My car was $46.50 so you would think motorcycles would be less. I'm told motorcycles are considered recreational in Screw Jersey, hence the price. I also once had Battleship NJ tags for my truck but they were costing me an extra $50.00 per year plus the standard truck registration fee. After many years of paying the extra cost they just had to go!!!

Went to the DMV to renew my drivers license here in Missouri on Tuesday.

They require your present license be turned over to them. Then they need a birth certificate or a passport to prove you are in the country legally. After that they want to see your social security card to see if you are telling the truth about the number you gave them. After all of that they want a letter you received in the last 60 days from a utility or a goverment agency to verify where you live.

This is goverment at its best!

:gah:

I was told 4 to 6 weeks when I ordered my personalized plates, but the lady at DMV said that they normally come in much sooner. She was right. I received mine in 2 weeks here in Virginia. The DMV down here has been pretty fast in all my experiences with them in the last 10 years or so.

North Dakota is $25.00 a year for all motorcycles regardless of year or size and run from Jan. 1 to Dec. 31 for all motorcycles. Personalized plates are an extra $25. per year. I have personalized plates on the TG plus on my Lexus at $142 a year and my Ford pickup at $107 a year for plates and personalized fee.

2011 Merlot and Black TG

Well, it looks like I got my answer....it's absurdly expensive to get plates for a new Trike in Colorado. From what all of you are saying, it's at least 10 times more expensive!! We don't get new plates each year either. We get a sticker that shows the year in the corner of the plate. I know a lot of people register motorhomes in other states to avoid these high costs.

Oh well, the cost goes down each year, so it about 10 years or so, the plates will be pretty cheap. :gah::gah:

Went to the DMV to renew my drivers license here in Missouri on Tuesday.
They require your present license be turned over to them. Then they need a birth certificate or a passport to prove you are in the country legally. After that they want to see your social security card to see if you are telling the truth about the number you gave them. After all of that they want a letter you received in the last 60 days from a utility or a goverment agency to verify where you live.
This is goverment at its best!
:gah:

Florida just started the same requirement for drivers license, but then you get a gold star in the upper right corner and do not have to do it the next time. :D:D

Well, it looks like I got my answer....it's absurdly expensive to get plates for a new Trike in Colorado. From what all of you are saying, it's at least 10 times more expensive!! We don't get new plates each year either. We get a sticker that shows the year in the corner of the plate. I know a lot of people register motorhomes in other states to avoid these high costs.

Oh well, the cost goes down each year, so it about 10 years or so, the plates will be pretty cheap. :gah::gah:

Part of the first year's registration is "sales tax" which varies from town to town in Colorado. My guess is that a good part of that $775 was to cover the various sales taxes. The normal road tax goes down each year for the first five, then remains the same for five more. Finally, after the vehicle is ten years old, the road tax stabilizes at its minimum. That's the single best reason to buy only old cars, bikes, etc.

Jon

:Shrug::Shrug:

Part of the first year's registration is "sales tax" which varies from town to town in Colorado. My guess is that a good part of that $775 was to cover the various sales taxes. The normal road tax goes down each year for the first five, then remains the same for five more. Finally, after the vehicle is ten years old, the road tax stabilizes at its minimum. That's the single best reason to buy only old cars, bikes, etc.

Jon

:Shrug::Shrug:

I thought I paid my taxes when I bought the trike!?!?! Whatever, they get you coming or going these days it seems.

I thought I paid my taxes when I bought the trike!?!?! Whatever, they get you coming or going these days it seems.

If you paid the local taxes when you bought the bike, the paperwork from the seller would have included a check for that amount for the DMV. Some dealers collect the local taxes, others don't. I don't think they have to.

Jon
:gah::Shrug:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
astrocreep

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
astrocreep
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png