passenger arm rests

Reaction score
Does anyone have passenger arm rests on the their glide? I have the Kuryuakyn ones and they do not stay closed when the bike is in motion. My wife has to run a belt through them and around her when she rides with me. By myself they open all the way and stay there. Kuryuakyn says not to ride with them open. I called them and they basically said I was full of ****. They have sold thousands of them and no complaints. WTF. Thanks, Jim:gah:

jameslarson69@hotmail.com

Is there a place to tighten the bolt so they don't swing out as easy? I thought they had a spring in them to keep them in place.

Regards,

Rosy & Janice
From NH

Kuryakyn can say what they want but myself and many others have the same exact problem, even pulled the tour8pak back off and removed them to make sure i didnt screw up in assembly....Personally I think they suck for what they cost. Just my opinion though....

I just put a set of these on and you can tighten the hinge bolt to where they will hardly move on the ones I bought. I snugged the bolt up good and don't have this problem. The problem I do have is the left arm rubs where the passenger plugs in their headset.

I had the same problem with them on my '03 GL1800. I used a small bungee cord to keep them pulled in. Just hook an end to each arm.

This problem is exactly why I made my own arm rests for the wife to use. My arm rests flip up rather than out. This design is great because you don't have them moving outward on curves so they're really solid while riding. Yet when mounting or dismounting she flips em up with plenty of room to get on or off the bike.
Larry

I seen some that Harley sells now..Not sure how they are??

I was in my dealer the other day, and they had a pair of those new HD armrests mounted on a 2013 Ultra. I messed with them a little, and it didnt seem like there was anything holding them solidly in place. They were very easy to swing out. Dunno if they would work better than the Kury rests or not. Also noticed they were rubbing on the backrest more than I would like if they were on my bike, but maybe they needed to be adjusted.

Would love to see a pic of your arm rests.
I installed Kuryakyn too. Yes if the bolt at the pivot point is not tight they will swing out. They supply a small offset wrench to tighten this nut. Wife loves arm rests. It makes her feel more secure, helps her hang on when cornering and I like the look of them.
As far as the headset interference we removed the standard mount with spring and tie wrapped to the arm. So far so good.
P.S. they are on my 2013 which replaced my 2012 which also had arm rests.

This problem is exactly why I made my own arm rests for the wife to use. My arm rests flip up rather than out. This design is great because you don't have them moving outward on curves so they're really solid while riding. Yet when mounting or dismounting she flips em up with plenty of room to get on or off the bike.
Larry

Can you give us a picture? This sounds like the best solution.

I think a simple waffel washer or two will solve the problem. I will option for the Corbin seat with the extended passenger arm rests , any feed back onthat set up before I spend the bucks ?

Before the riding season opens in northern, MN, I will take the tour pack off and put thread lock on the bolt that holds the arm rests to the bike and see if that works, and tighten the **** out of them.pepper

From what I have heard the Harley armrests won't go on a Tri Glide. You have to raise the tour pac up to clear the arms, & bracket. You can put a spacer in to do that tho.
:Trike1:

You are correct. However, I did see a set a guy installed where he added a square tube under the tour-pak to raise it up so the armrest bracket would fit. I think he used an aluminum square tube painted black between the tour-pak and trunk body.

Sloufoot, From what I have heard the Harley armrests won't go on a Tri Glide. You have to raise the tour pac up to clear the arms, & bracket. You can put a spacer in to do that tho.

Does this mean the Harley armrests WILL fit a Triglide if the spacer in under the tourpac?

PC

Sloufoot, From what I have heard the Harley armrests won't go on a Tri Glide. You have to raise the tour pac up to clear the arms, & bracket. You can put a spacer in to do that tho.

Does this mean the Harley armrests WILL fit a Triglide if the spacer in under the tourpac?

PC

Correct, if you know how much to raise the pac. I haven't tried to do the job, but I'm sure with the right spacer it would work....
You might ask gadgetz how high the tube was that he saw. I would think around 1" might do it, but don't quote me. As I said I haven't done it.

Bill,,,That Corbin passenger back rest is what I have and my wife loves it...They even put a line of studs along the top for no charge that match my Mustang seat.....With the tourpac moved back a coupla inches and the adjustable passenger foot pegs from Kury,, She is good for all day in the saddle.

Bill,,,That Corbin passenger back rest is what I have and my wife loves it...They even put a line of studs along the top for no charge that match my Mustang seat.....With the tourpac moved back a coupla inches and the adjustable passenger foot pegs from Kury,, She is good for all day in the saddle.

I am thinking about that backrest also. It seems to have plenty of extra arm rests without being in the way. Also less money.
I like Corbin seats anyway, they are tops in quality !!

I have two friends with trikes that have the Kurri arm rests made for the trike. They both have a problem with the arm rests becoming loose and then swinging out. They both have taken a bungi cord and put it between both arm rests. It also works as a seat belt for the passenger :) :) :)

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png