Extended Warranty

Jan 24, 2011
The Villages, FL
I just received a card from Harley that says my factory warranty expires April 1st. Of course they recommend seeing a dealer for the extended warranty. I have never bought an extended warranty on anything! I am just wondering what the majority of you Harley owners have done and any advantages, Thanks for the info.

I bought it reluctently. Not soon after my radio went out. It was over $1000 for replacing the radio. Paid a little more for the insurance,but think it was worth it now. If something else happens still have the insurance. :D:

I don't usually buy an extended warrantee (especially for items that will be obsolete in a few years like electronics). BUT the Tri Glide was a big investment and I plan on having it for a while. I hope I never have to use the warrantee but I will have some piece of mind knowing it is there if I do. Like any kind of insurance you don't need or use it until something goes wrong.

I have a 2010 Tri.., bought extended warranty. I have 25k on my trike and my engine has been rebuilt twice.., I am very happy to have the extended warranty because all of our riding is done long distance, cross country and I plan on having HD own the repairs for as long as possible. I have had problems thousands of miles from home and been darn glad to have the protection the EW offers.

Already got my money back on extended warranty on my '10 TG. And never had any engine or tranny issues. 56k miles. Never stranded me. Stator fried and replaced every 25k. Same for Compensator Clutch. Radio already replaced. Lots of little stuff. Long answer...yes, extended warranty worth it.

Thinking of this myself. I have one year left in April. Would be first bike extended. I guess I was spoiled by my Victory 5 yr warranty!! ( Note to Harley: STEP UP!)
Also thinking of the tire warranty ( Of course that's a SEPERATE big buck warranty!)

There sure seem to be a LOT of radios go bad! What's the story with them.

I seem to recall warranty being $1800, but I might be remembering wrong. Also got the tire warranty. Used to get flats all the time. Not one single tire problem in 56k miles on '10TG.

That sounds about right, and a hefty amount for tires also.
It's pretty hard for me to defend Harley in conversations about such things! It's kind of like trying to defend US cars with 3yr/36,000 mile warranty against some that are 10 yr/ 100,000 miles.

if you haven't had problems with your trike, i'd say no. how many miles do put on it a year? do a thorough insp yourself, ie is the drive belt rubbing the trans case? think this is a hoax? i found t mine after installing the perf. machine brake stage 1 upgrade & baker plus1 oil pan . so i had to pay a hours labor (ext. warrenty doesn't cover adjustments.) even the local shop forgot to mention it.
so no body cares except you the owner.
This was after 3 normal services by the dealer. OH they didn't catch it.
also put the t/g in the air * spin the rear tires & look at the belt, esp. if you routinely go over gravel roads. are teeth missing in the belt. the manual givves you some good pictures of a deteorating belt. just my opinion.
what type of oil do you use in the tranny? syn 3. if so its waaaay tooo thin for being a tranny fluid. thats why '11 &'12 have had some gear problems. switch to red line syn shockproof gear lube. its pink, so if you ever have a pinkish color tent when you drain the primary you know it the seal leaking. other fluids like spectro are great also.
have you ever greased the steering neck youeself? its probably dry. mine was. & do the kleenex clean-up. ang again after about 100 miles.. i'm tired of thinking.

Best thing I ever did!! Here's a list reverse motor, packing brake assembly, stator wire, inner shift shaft seal,oil filter housing gasket,clutch cable,and probably some I for got. I have gotten back more than I spent,and I'm sure there will be more before it's up. The only draw back is the co-pay $50 but if they do more than one repair at one time it's only 1 co-pay !! Oh yeah I for got on 4th radio Too !! So I'm happy about the purchase,but you got to read your warranty real close some are not as good as others.

Think of an extended warranty like an insurance policy that the law don't require. If you want to take the chance it won't breakdown, then don't get one. If you want to have the comfort of knowing if it breaks it's paid for(less deductible)then get it. Just make sure you read over the what the warranty covers first to save yourself any surprises later.

I've been thinking of picking up the extended warrenty for my 2011 TG.I wonder though what happens if you change something,even minor like the mufflers or oil cooler.Will it kill your warrenty?I asked the sm at my dealer once about changing the oil cooler to a 10 row non-Harley.He didn't say yes or no.

Just make sure you read what is covered on extended warranty , most do not cover electrical also many bogas warranty compaines out there ripping folks off , I get calls from them all the time on cars I no longer own.

Thanks for all the comments. I called my Harley dealer and purchased a 3 year extended warranty from Harley. Apparently there are some dealers that have a different company, not Harley, for extended warranties. As for cost it was around $1400 with governors share. I have needed the Harley 2 year warranty a few times, reverse motor, tons of oil leaks, warped front rotors, and a few other things. The reverse motor alone is about the cost of the warranty. I bought a new Ford not too long ago and turned down the extended warranty. I have never bought one on a car as I never have any trouble with them :) But the Harley has been a different story :)

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timetraveller

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timetraveller
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png