Rear Tire on Front

Dray

Nov 16, 2010
Graham, Tx. USA
I would like to try running a rear tire on the front of my 03 GL1800 and do not
have a clue as to what fits and what hits. The current tire size is 130x70x18.
Is there any advantage of running a Bias ply over a radial? I have been looking
at the Battleax BT45 but am open to any suggestion.
Feel free to jump in here with any opinions and/or experience

Thanks in advance!!!

Dray

I have been running the Michelin Pilot Activ rear tire on the front of my GL1800 since 2006. Make sure it is the exact same size as the tire you are replacing. Mount the tire in reverse and then the tread design will be just like the tire you presently have on the bike. pepper

Dray

I just changed out my Michelin MPA, at 30K miles, for the Bridgestone Battlax BT-45. The MPA tire wear was very good and the grip was exellent in wet or dry conditions, but you'll probably have to deal with a small buzz in the handle bars, at speed, which I believe is due to the MPA tread design.

I did have my MPA mounted in reverse rotation, but have the BT-45 mounted straight up.

The tire wear and grip for the BT-45 remains to be seen, but I noticed a very pronounced difference in how the BT-45 smooths out harsh bumps and offsets in the roadway. Kinda feels like the tire is way under inflated, but I'm running 40# up front and 20# in the rear tires.

By the way, I use Dyna-Beads in my trike, with excellent results.

Hope this helps!

'08 GL1800 CSC Cobra XL
Eagle Man

Dray

I just changed out my Michelin MPA, at 30K miles, for the Bridgestone Battlax BT-45. The MPA tire wear was very good and the grip was exellent in wet or dry conditions, but you'll probably have to deal with a small buzz in the handle bars, at speed, which I believe is due to the MPA tread design.

I did have my MPA mounted in reverse rotation, but have the BT-45 mounted straight up.

The tire wear and grip for the BT-45 remains to be seen, but I noticed a very pronounced difference in how the BT-45 smooths out harsh bumps and offsets in the roadway. Kinda feels like the tire is way under inflated, but I'm running 40# up front and 20# in the rear tires.

By the way, I use Dyna-Beads in my trike, with excellent results.

Hope this helps!

'08 GL1800 CSC Cobra XL
Eagle Man

The Michelin Pilot Activ is noisier when mounted backwards...I can personally attest to this having ridden the Tire both ways....interested to read future posts about the BT45.....ThumbUp

Sumter Honda builds Champion and CSC trikes they use the MPA and mount forward not backward They site the noise and virberation issue as well as water chaneling if mounted backwards , thus my tire is standard rotation and no issues at all after 10K miles.

D&D in Tempe, Az. mounted my BT-45. They advised to reverse the rotation. I've got about 12K on it. No problems in the rain and very little wear so far. I keep it at 41# and 28 on the rears.:)

this is my 1st time posting so bear with me,I had a mpa on the frt of my last goldwing and it did make a little humming noise,next time i'll try mounting it right direction, I would like to thank everyone's input

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png