Dunlop Elite 3 Radial

Do not use the OEM tire Dunlop Elite ... It will wear out in 7,000 miles... Also it is a radial and the walls are too flexible. Use a rear motorcycle tire .. See below for info.

Do not use the OEM tire Dunlop Elite ... It will wear out in 7,000 miles... Also it is a radial and the walls are too flexible. Use a rear motorcycle tire .. See below for info.

I usually got at least 15k out of Dunlop Elites on front. Felt they grabbed in rain great. Then I had two different rear Elites where the lining seperated from the tire (the flexibility John mentions). Close calls, could have been major, but I suspected what was happening. They've lost me now.

On a trike the front tire operates completely different than a two wheeler which is why the standard front tires don't work well.

The two predominant tires used on GL1800 trikes are the Michelin Pilot Activ and the Battleax BT-45. Both are bias ply, rear tires off of sportbikes. They have wider, flatter tread and extremely strong sidewalls which will withstand the extreme side loads a trike places on them, especially in the twisties. Use the standard size 130x70x18 and pressure of 41 psi.

There is mixed opinion about which tire is best. Personally, after beginning with the MPA I switched to the BT-45 because of an inherent "buzz" caused by the MPA's tread design. There is also varied opinions about whethere to mount them in forward or reverse rotation.

There is much info available if you search this and other sites. Your mileage may vary. :)

Metzler also makes a great rear tire for the front of trikes but unfortunately most guys wont buy it because the Michelin and Bridgestone are less pricey.

I had a stock front tire on my 2004 Wing when I first converted to a Trike and then put a BT-45 on the front. The BT-45 seems to handle better and wear much better. Besides, the stock tire wore out very quickly

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dle54

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dle54
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png