• It appears that you have unread Personal Messages - Please check your inbox!

Getting around the new Texas law.

unomascerveza

Reaction score
Is the JP a viable way to get around the Texas law, No VW Trike titles. I was just fixing to start 1 and decided I better find out what all is involved. Blowed my panties in a knot. Any help will be appreciated.

I guess there is no interest in what the State of Texas has bestowed on the homemade trike building in Texas. The bad thing is this sets a precedence for all other states to follow if nothing is not done about it.

So if I have a VW trike and move to Texas I can't register my trike even though it has been registered and driven for years in my state? Wow, guess they don't want VW trikes in Texas. What if you just ride through?

From the PDF file:

Eligibility for Title
Homemade vehicles are not eligible for title or registration. Homemade vehicles are
described as vehicles that were not previously manufactured by a NHTSA approved
manufacturer or a vehicle created by merging two or more vehicles from different vehicle classes that were never engineered or manufactured to be combined with one another by the original manufacturers of those vehicles (such as a motorcycle front and the rear of a Volkswagon Beetle).

I think you need to call them. I think you can do an assembled motorcycle title. Just what I thought when I read chapter 25. But I'm not from Texas so I suggest you call the DMV.

Great, a law that's full of holes and left up to the DMV as to determine what is a front and what is a rear. What if a trike has a Harley frame and fork, and has the engine relocated to the rear with an adapter to a VW transaxle? Is that a Harley front with a Harley rear?

Had no problems registering a 1967 VW motorcycle. Just bought it from an individual and had title transferred into my name. May be problems if applying for a new title.

Now that doesn't count for homemade trailers and other laws!

In Texas, you just build what ever you can think of, give it a serial number, some lights, and go get it registered! You get a "home-made" title, and the dang thing is ready to hit the road! Is it safe? State don't check. Will it track? State won't check. Does it have BRAKES? They ain't going to weight it, check the axle capacity, or even worry too much about the boltin' and the weldin' to see if it can STOP! I think the only criteria is that it can only be SO wide, and if it's TOO long, they're gonna hit you with the extra fees and taxes for a commercial rig!

Go figure. Texas law reminds me of the time my wife got pulled over by the Highway Patrol. The officer told my wife she was guilty of passing on the right. There was a man driving in the LEFT LANE of the two lanes driving about 45 mile per hour. The speed limit was POSTED as 75 MPH. My wife came upon the slower driver. She was in the right lane. She slowed to measure his intentions, and noted that he was not signaling, stopping, or otherwise indicating that he was changing lanes. So, she went on by him in HER lane. Red and Blue lights in the rearview mirror. This was "passing on the right" she was told, and it is agin" the law in TEXAS! :gah:

So my wife, gentle flower that she is, wanted to know that if she came upon a guy driving 45 MPH on Interstate 40 in the left lane, and she came upon him, she would have to slow down to match HIS speed, and back up everyone behind her! You mean NO ONE can pass the fool in the left lane on the right! :Whack:

TEXAS. YEAH!

Oldveteran. :Trike1:

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png