Homemade trike in TX??????Maybe not

bigjoey38

Apr 22, 2010
Sterling, Colorado USA
Just pulled this from another forum in regards to homemade trikes and TX

Eligibility for Title Homemade vehicles are not eligible for title or registration. Homemade vehicles are described as vehicles that were not previously manufactured by a NHTSA approved manufacturer or a vehicle created by merging two or more vehicles from different vehicle classes that were never engineered or manufactured to be combined with one another by the original manufacturers of those vehicles (such as a motorcycle front and the rear of a Volkswagen Beetle).

So how do you reg it? In Conn. you would have to hire a crash dummy:xzqxz::xzqxz:.. You need all receipts for every piece you used and the Vin numbers of all the vehicles the parts are from with Bill of sales. Then it needs to go through a new car inspection and get a new VIN. Number assigned to it.

If you have a motorcycle title all that is needed in Texas is to register it as a motorcycle. The state does not distinguish any difference between a cycle and a trike. Just renewed registration on my harley which is now a trike and DMV made no changes to my registration. If you are building from scratch all you should need is the title of a motorcycle hopefully the one which you used the front end off, but if you replaced it with a custom front end no one is going to check.

Motorcycle coming from another state must be inspected by DMV.
I am sure that they would notice it is no longer a a 350 Honda

i am not sure whether i am legal or not i am in Tennessee. i registered my trike as the motorcycle that matched the vin number on my front fork and neck. i did not try to explain it to the dmv or to my insurance company. my trike is titled as a suzuki 750 but has the suzuji front end, a vw frame, a yugo 1300cc engine, and parts scrounged from various sources that was not originally motorcycle or automotive related from my junk pile.

i am not sure whether i am legal or not i am in Tennessee. i registered my trike as the motorcycle that matched the vin number on my front fork and neck. i did not try to explain it to the dmv or to my insurance company. my trike is titled as a suzuki 750 but has the suzuji front end, a vw frame, a yugo 1300cc engine, and parts scrounged from various sources that was not originally motorcycle or automotive related from my junk pile.

I'm telling my age here but I think Johnny Cash built a caddy this way or maybe not .:Shrug: :Shrug:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png