shock adjustment

geraldlanc

Oct 14, 2011
austin tx usa
I've read that the front shocks are adjustable and lowering them may improve the ride. My question is; what is the procedure for adjusting them? Do I disconnect the lower mounting allen bolt or leave the shock attached?

Gerald

You should have received a hook shaped tool with your bike. If you look at the shocks, you will see some tabs that contact a cam. Yes, if you loosen this, it will improve the ride. This adjustment is also incorporated on the rear shocks and this is where you will notice the best improvement in ride. I ran mine to the bottom setting and I like it. I did get flamed for this setting, but everyone is different. I have had these settings for at least 3 years and I wouldn't go back. Now, I have it on next to the bottom on the front and all the way on the rear. Hope it works for you.

I've read that the front shocks are adjustable and lowering them may improve the ride. My question is; what is the procedure for adjusting them? Do I disconnect the lower mounting allen bolt or leave the shock attached?

Gerald

It is really easy to adjust them with a spanner wrench, and could really make your ride better. If yours are set on the highest pre-load, it is probably really stiff. You don't need to remove any bolts. Left rotation of the shock should lessen pre-load, at least on most adjustable shocks.

this has been on several posts in the past if you wish to look around. DO NOT adjust the rear shocks as it will make you feel like you are going to tip over if adjusted too low !!! Also it is a real bear to readjust them back up--I know !! I was also told at bike week this year that the Stallions came with the front shock already adjusted down one click from the top, which is where you want it. I had been riding with 25-30psi in the rear air shock but lowered that to 14-15 after another Stallion rider told me to try it and the ride is nicer. There is no tool provided to adjust the shocks, but a spanner wrench works great and the shock can be lowered or raised with no effort while sitting flat on the ground.<br />
<br />
<br />
Tomg

the easiest way to adjust is to jack up the wheel you want to adjust off the ground, it relieves the shock some and it is easier to adjust.
I have an 09 and the tool came with the trike.

It depends on the year model of the Stallion, whether you want to adjust the shocks. The New 2013 Stallions come with a different shock configuration, which gives a MUCH better ride quality.

I don't think it is a different shock, they finally listened to the Stallion owners and lowered the front shock setting to give it a smoother ride.

Tomg

Tomg... It is a different shock. If you look at the old configuration, they use top hats in the bushings, and the bump stop is yellow on the new shocks. The new shocks are used on the front and on the rear of the 2013. On the older models the shocks were different on the rear (and much stiffer.) The new configuration is so much more comfortable, and is not difficult to upgrade.

any Stallion owners in the Tampa Bay area ,i'd like to hook up or just talk as i just bought mine, i havn't been able to ride much as of yet only 20-40 miles at a time ...Doc i'm a ( disabled Vet ) cell 813-469-9921

Tomg... It is a different shock. If you look at the old configuration, they use top hats in the bushings, and the bump stop is yellow on the new shocks. The new shocks are used on the front and on the rear of the 2013. On the older models the shocks were different on the rear (and much stiffer.) The new configuration is so much more comfortable, and is not difficult to upgrade.

Stallion Guy....do happen to know what model the rear shock absorbers are?

vr
John

I understand what you are trying to say, but I have been told but TMS it is the same shock that has the bump stop on it. TMS also started to adjust the shocks to one click down from the top as we owners had suggested in the past as I saw that change on the '13 models.

tomg

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png