Help- Need quick ideas

I have my 2010 gl1800 Hannigan up on a jack in my driveway putting in Progressive fork springs. The left worked fine-- the right cap will not come out even though it is completely unscrewed. It feels like the spring is caught on something. As I understand ,it should easily come out with the damper rod attached. Could any of you fine folks tell me what i'm doing wrong before it gets colder and darker here?

Not sure but I think the damper rod screws into the cap. Pull up on the rod and hang it onto the edge of the fork and unscrew the cap. From Rake Kit Inst instructions:

17. Hold the left fork tube and unscrew the cap with a 17mm socket. Repeat for the right side cap. Once the right side cap is released, us a 14mm wrench to hold the damper rod and unscrew the cap from the damper rod. See Figure 34.

18. Carefully remove the O-rings from stock fork tube caps and transfer them to the fork tube extensions. See Figure 35. ( You won't need this step)

19. Pull the damper rod up and hang it on the edge of the inner fork tube sleeve as shown in Figure 35. Thread the fork tube extension onto the damper rod and torque it to 14 ft-lbs. This is only necessary for the right fork tube.

20. Push down on the fork tube extension until the threads seat inside of the fork tube. Continue applying pressure while rotating the fork tube. Continue threading the fork tube onto the extension and torque to 17 ft-lbs with a 7/8” socket. Repeat for the other fork tube. See Figure 36.

Thanks for the reply Woolie. I believe you are correct that the damper rod screws to the cap. My problem is that I can't get the cap pulled out far enough to even see the damper rod. I even grabbed the cap with vice grips and still can't pull it out! My wife thought I was going to bust a gut I pulled so hard.

From the picture, I don't think it comes up much, just enough to get a wrench underneath to hold the nut on the rod. About 1/4 inch or so. I didn't install my springs, I had it done, sorry I'm not better help.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png