How Many Viet Nam Vets Here?

I joined the Army, Sept. 17, '71. I joined to go and expected to go, short story, they sent "just" me to an intelligence detachment at USAEUR HQ. Second hitch was a combat air traffic controller (GCA). Felt guilty until recently about not going, I still got bombed, shot at and a knife hand to hand fight.....Baader Mienhof Gang. I sure got a xxxx load of training in the Army.

Thank you all for your service :clapping:

USS Boston (CAG-1)

I was an 8" Gunner's Mate on the USS Boston from 66-69. I went to basic in the Great Lakes Oct. 19th 1965 and caught the ship in Naples Italy in early 66. I then finished the rest of the Med Cruise then we came to Boston. We then did three cruises to Nam and I got out Sept. 23rd 1969. We did a lot of fire support for the troops on the beach with our 8", 5" and 3" guns.

There was this one time we were called to General Quarters because the Army and Marines had about 1,000 Cong penned in in a 1/4 mile square area. They were on 3 sides and the ocean on the fourth. We did a couple of spotting rounds and were then told to start rapid salvo fire, and keep shooting until told to stop, seeing as we were right on target. We emptied the powder magazines and shell decks in both turrets. It was about 140 degrees in the turret rooms and we got to the point of not sweating, which was fun. The ends of the 8" barrels were turning red for about 2 feet. The troops on the beach said we did one hell of a job.

Well, after cleaning everything up we headed for Subic Bay in the Philippines to re-gun seeing as that firing run wore the rifling out of the barrels. We were there for about two weeks for some R&R (Rest and Relaxation) or as some of us called it I&I. Military people will know what I&I is.

This is the ship I was on. You can see the two 8" turrets in front. I was the "Gun Captain" of the center gun of turret 2. Gun Captain is just a term for the Gunner's Mate who opened the breach and was in charge of the 3 others in the gun room. I was an E-3 at the time but made E-4 before I got out.

Boston3.jpg

The Coast Guard check in.

Was wondering if we count? Served 73-76.

sorrel-shorty.jpg

Semper Paratus

Fair Skies and Following seas always!!

Member of:
Vietnam Veterans of America-
Life Member.....
Chapter 327

Full Moon Lone Riders

Don't Forget Our Military and our

POW'S and MIA's.

Nothing but respect for all of you my Brothers.

I joined the Army at the very end of the war Sept 74. At Ft Knox during training they changed or orders and told us that nobody else was going over there. So I was spared the situations and experiences you all went through. I can't express my thanks to you and I'm happy to know that you are here to tell your stories. I was approached by the Viet Nam Vets MC and asked if I would like to join the club as Legacy Vet. (Viet Nam era but not in country). I thanked them for the offer but told them I could not wear that patch on my back if I had not been there. I felt it would be disrespectful of those of you that were there. Again I have the upmost respect for all of you and I'm proud to call you Brothers.

God Bless and Ride safe.

Brad Wages

U.S. Army SFC, RET

Nam Vets

Hey bSwages and other Brothers,

I was there from 9/66-Tet of 68(bronze Star)- 9/1968, just my MHO and .02 worth but I would be PROUD to have you wear any patch of a group from that era. You were in the service during that nasty time and you should as other be recognized for you commitment to this GREAT COUNTRY which we have the pleasure to live in.

I don't run with a group but then our area here doesn't have a lot of clubs.

Be who you are and do what you feel but not being there in country doesn't mean you shouldn't be in a club with those who were.

BE SAFE and RIDE SAFE!!!

Ken

I was there from July '69 to Jun '70 US Army with the 101st Airborne stationed at Camp Eagle between Hue and Phu Bai. I was lucky, a Radar O'Riley type of sorts. Things were different then, we weren't looked at as heros but rather the scum of the earth when we got home. I'll never forget after I got home to Buffalo NY I flew down to Philadelphia to be with my Fiance and thought she would like to see me in uniform, so I did just that. When she saw me her look spoke volumes! She tried to recover and asked me why I was in uniform when I was discharged, and asked me If I wanted to change. I don't think she even kissed me right away, and it was obvious she was ashamed to be with me.

It has taken me up to just a couple of years ago to come to grips with all of it, and sure don't feel like any kind of hero. Better men than I didn't get to come home.

As of this year I am now a lifetime member of the VFW and a member of the American Legion as well, but am not active with either. To me it's just a cheap place to get drunk, but hopefully as I do get involved that outlook will change.

I am currently 60% disabled thanks to exposure to agent orange and type 2 diabeties and am trying to be declared 100% as I was sort of forced to retire last fall because of the increased discomfort of periferal neuropathy in both feet and hands.

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it! What's yours???

I am 100 % with all sorts of Ortho problems . Served same place , same time . Welcome Home Brother . I know the feelings . I do ride with a Vet Group , which really helpes . Point of fact , my wife told me to get a trike and start riding . Best advice ever . Don’t tell her she was right though .

We travel full time in our RV and haul our Trike in an enclosed trailer. We have wintered in a campground in SW Florida for the past two years. Toward the end of March they have a big "end of season" bash that lasts all day. There is a lot of food, events, and of course drinking.

This year it starts off a little differently. All veterans are gathering at the club house and marching to the event area together. Most of us are VN vets. Times have certainly changed.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png