sportster fluids

Jun 3, 2009
lancaster pa
whats the prefered oil of choice when you change the oil in ya bike. i have a 1997 sportster 883 and dont want to have to go to the dealer for the oil looking for a alternative choice

According to market graphs and manufacture's data linked to longevity tests and heat resistance or heat related breakdown research I use Mobile 1 V-Twin 20w-50 Syn. It is normally listed in the top 10 syn's and ranks no lower than third place in individual testing but number one overall.

Mobile 1 also makes a great syn tranny lube.

Mobil 1 VT 20-50 and Mobil Synthetic ATF in the primary here too. The Sporty only has two baths and not three, but I think you would be okay with the 20-50 in both Sporty holes.
The good thing about this stuff is that you can usually grab it at an AutoZone or other nationally known auto parts stores.

Who doesn't love their bike and want to give every ounce of TLC possible, Bus. I like Mobil-1 too, but I use 15W50 and when I put high compression pistons in our 98 Electra Glide the pistons looked almost new after 35,000 hard miles. However, use what makes you feel good. The best thing you can do for your engine is to get your oil above 160 degrees and keep it there for at least 30 minutes every 1,000 miles to keep the oil dehydrated and then change it as called for in your owners manual. Your engine will love you for it.

Oil change before last I sent an oil sample to Blackstone lab to be tested at 5,000 miles and they recommended my going to 7,000 miles. Next time I send in a sample as well as the next couple oil changes will be at 6,000. 7,000 miles seems like stretching it to me, but I'll know better after that next sample. What do the rest of you think?

Phu Cat

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png