Lehman trike conversion 2005 Ultra

engprosinc

Jun 7, 2013
Middletown, NJ
The maintenance sheet on Lehman's web site states that it is OK to place the floor jack under the "carrier" when jacking up a trike. To me, the carrier didn't look as if it could take the stress of a floor jack, so I put the floor jack under the shock mount and lifted one side at a time. Even with that, I couldn't place a jack stand under the axle because of the limited room, so I placed it under one of the cross braces toward the rear of the trike. Does anyone have a better way?

It also says there is a zerks fitting behind a rubber plug in the "carrier" that should be greased @ 1 "stroke" per 1,000 miles. When I looked under the trike, there are two red rubber plugs in the carrier that encases the rear gear belt sprocket; one at the bottom of the carrier, and one on the right side of the carrier just below the axle. When I took out the bottom plug, I could feel the back side of the drive belt. When I took out the plug in the side , all I could feel was the threaded end of bolts as I turned the rear tire. Apparently, there is nothing in the carrier that requires grease. Has anyone else found the same thing?

Also, the rear drum brakes have self adjusters, but the adjusters don't appear to be workingpepper. As I remember from my youth when I did brake jobs on my wrecks, the adjusters are activated only when the vehicle comes to a stop in reverse. I am guessing that the number of times that a trike stops in reverse is severely limited. As a result, I had to manually adjust the brakes about 12 clicks on each wheel (thank goodness I saved the old drum brake adjusting spoon).
I would be interested to know if anyone has had the same experience?

This is a picture of a Lehman frame that I could find on the web>> http://www.midohiohd.com/trikes/chassis.jpg The 2 cross members that are welded to the main support between the mufflers. Using a short piece of 2x4 that is longer than the distance of the cross supports between the mufflers from front to rear of the trike. Placing the 2x4 on top of your floor jack pad I would think you can jack up the back of the trike from there. The steel cross members can take the weight of the trike without bending

The Lehman rear question I am not any help to you

Adjusting the rear drum brakes in a vehicle you could self adjust them by backing up and jamming on the brakes a few times in reverse and if the adjuster was working it would work. A trike doesnt have the weight needed to do this. It has to be done manually

As per my Motortrike info the trike kit added 190 additional pounds of weight. The majoring of the weight is the rear and the wheels & tires. I dont think your Lehman kit has any more significant weight than that

Tom

I have a different model Lehman trike, but your questions are a few of the same ones I asked when I bought mine (used) this past November.

If you didn't get any manuals, they can be downloaded on the Lehman site.

Lehman Owner Manual, Page 13, and Lehman Technical Highlights Pamphlet, Pages 7 ~ 8

I have a different model Lehman trike, but your questions are a few of the same ones I asked when I bought mine (used) this past November.

Lehman Owner Manual, Page 13, and Lehman Technical Highlights Pamphlet, Pages 7 ~ 8

Thank you for your help. I will down load the file this morning. I am sure it will help me.
Engprosinc

I didn't find the grease fitting, but then again, I didn't look in because I couldn't get under the trike. I used my fingers. I will try jacking it up as you suggested, but even then, it will be a tight squeeze if the fitting isn't close to the hole in the carrier so I can see, and reach it.

This is a picture of a Lehman frame that I could find on the web>> http://www.midohiohd.com/trikes/chassis.jpg The 2 cross members that are welded to the main support between the mufflers. Using a short piece of 2x4 that is longer than the distance of the cross supports between the mufflers from front to rear of the trike. Placing the 2x4 on top of your floor jack pad I would think you can jack up the back of the trike from there. The steel cross members can take the weight of the trike without bending

The Lehman rear question I am not any help to you

Adjusting the rear drum brakes in a vehicle you could self adjust them by backing up and jamming on the brakes a few times in reverse and if the adjuster was working it would work. A trike doesnt have the weight needed to do this. It has to be done manually

As per my Motortrike info the trike kit added 190 additional pounds of weight. The majoring of the weight is the rear and the wheels & tires. I dont think your Lehman kit has any more significant weight than that

Tom

Thanks, Tom. It is better than the way I was jacking up the trike, because I couldn't get under the trike to see the grease fitting. I will use your recommendation.
Engprosinc.

Hi Engprosinc,

This is Jaime at Lehman Trikes. I ran your question by Cory in our technical department and he said the replies are accurate:
*The jacking procedure that is suggested by the other customers should work just fine.
*Once the rear tires are off the ground, the grease fitting can be found by slowly rotating the wheels until the fitting lines up with access hole on the side of the housing.
*The drum brakes do not self adjust and must be done manually. It sounds like he has already taken care of this.

Call us anytime at 888-3WHEELS if you have any other questions. Thanks!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png