Why are there so few trike dealers?

brianl

300+ Posts
May 16, 2013
leominster, ma. USA
I was wondering why there are so few trike dealers. There obviously seems to be a good market for them, people travel thousands of miles to buy them, you'd think more shops would do it. Is it that hard to do an install? I read where many owners install the kits themselves, I would think it would be easy for a bike mechanic. Just wondering if anyone knows why.

When I had my bike converted, it was done at my local HD dealer, whom I've been doing business with for over 25 years. I spoke with the owner about trikes, and he told me they sell all the TriGlides they get in, but the market for conversion Harleys is soft in comparision. He said he didn't want to tie up capital in a conversion which will not sell as quickly as a TriGlide. This makes good economic sense to me, but unfortunately limits what is available on the local trike market.

When I had my bike converted, it was done at my local HD dealer, whom I've been doing business with for over 25 years. I spoke with the owner about trikes, and he told me they sell all the TriGlides they get in, but the market for conversion Harleys is soft in comparision. He said he didn't want to tie up capital in a conversion which will not sell as quickly as a TriGlide. This makes good economic sense to me, but unfortunately limits what is available on the local trike market.

I wouldn't think it would take much of an investment to offer the service to people who want their own bike done. I suppose you'd have to spend the money to train your mechanic, but they should be able to recoup that soon enough. I don't see that many Harleys that are triked, but there sure seem to be a lot of Goldwings.

HD also stacks the deck against conversions. If you want insurance or financing through HD they wont do it unless its a factory conversion. Somewhat forcing you in their direction. Honda doesnt warranty their bikes once triked. Some of the larger powersport dealers can get away with it because of the numbers they push in sales for Honda. But a smaller dealer would have the possibility of risking his dealership licensing from Honda if caught. HD with the TriGlide saw a lot of people come over to their side just because of the warranty issue. In reference to Hondas case about trikes people say theyre still locked in because of the issue with the 3 wheel ATVs. Hondas probably gunshy because of the legal system here that puts the blame on the manufacturer for the stupidity of the owners of their product. And in this day and age I wouldnt blame them for not making one.

I wouldn't think it would take much of an investment to offer the service to people who want their own bike done. I suppose you'd have to spend the money to train your mechanic, but they should be able to recoup that soon enough. I don't see that many Harleys that are triked, but there sure seem to be a lot of Goldwings.

Like most any Business Venture: Buildings, Insurance, Payroll, Inventory, Display Models, etc., etc., etc. .....having spent my whole life owning and running my own businesses, I'm asked this weekly, or told "I wish I had my own Business, I'd make a sackful of money".....my response..."Open one up then, best way in the world to appreciate the job You have now with the set hours, weekly check, and benefits that are attached to it"........since we're discussing Trikes specifically here..... though it's definetly a growing market, and They're getting a lot more popular, the Trike Market is still what's considered a "niche market", making up a small (but yes, rapidly growing) percentage of the total Motorcycles sold per year. Scooters, a decade ago were the same way. A lot more Scooters are sold now than Trikes, but still a small enough niche that Shops that sell "Scooters only" are rare. Most are still sold through Motorcycle Shops.....ThumbUp

My dealer, ABC Harley-Davidson in Waterford, Mich, is a CSC dealer and installer. They will be happy to do your conversion, and do it well, but evidently their business model does not call for conversion trikes on the sales floor.

Harley didn't get any of my money because they wanted to rip me off. They offered me 15,000 for my 26,000 dollar machine on trade. Those people have some really big heads. There's a lot of pissed off triglide owners out there too. Reverse motors falling off the trike while your going down the highway is not a good way to keep customers. Lots of other problems as well. Read the harley board sometime, lots of ticked off triglide owners.

Motortrike was here for a while. All they were doing is selling already converted trikes from the Gatesville home base. No oil changes, no tire work, no tuneups, no nothing else. They lasted about 6 to 9 months then packed up and went home.

Motortrike was here for a while. All they were doing is selling already converted trikes from the Gatesville home base. No oil changes, no tire work, no tuneups, no nothing else. They lasted about 6 to 9 months then packed up and went home.

Motortrike isn't in Gatesville, my guess, is it was one of their dealers doing that.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David Davis

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David Davis
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png