Can't see in the rain! Help....

Jun 19, 2009
Darlington
I have a 2009 Tri-Glide with the stock tall windshield, I love the protection it offers but when it rains heavy and I am riding with a group that does not stop because of rain, I find that I can hardly see through my windshield which is dangerous (I am short and cannot see over it)....is there anything I can treat the windshield with that will help, I know they make things for cars with glass windows, not sure about trike windshield.........thanks!

Try wearing sunglasses things will look a lot clearer then plain glass. Not a joke---They also have a rain repellent..I think its rain ex

I heard that Rain-X was not good for motorcycle windshields. Pits it? or something. I am with TrikerMary and have a hard time, although I do have a shorter shield than HD stock. I still have to struggle to look over. Pledge made an oily film on it that gets really bad in fog or cooler air. I bought some wipes from HD for the windshield for rain, but it just "meh" Not all that helpful.

HD sells at their dealers a water repellent for their windshields. Its a container of wipes where you just apply it to the windscreen and then follow the instructions. I have a container in the trunk of my wing and they work great. Ive tried various polish and cleaners and nothing works like a good water repellent made for windscreens.

Why not get a windshield you can look over? Is stock more important than being able to see? On a bike, proper fitment for a windshield is just below the bridge of your nose.

Try wearing sunglasses things will look a lot clearer then plain glass. Not a joke---They also have a rain repellent..I think its rain ex
+1 on that! I discovered that the amber "hunting/shooting" glasses actually makes a noticable difference! I also use furniture polish on my shield to clean it and it makes the water bead up and blow off...

Try some Bug Slide . I use it on mine all the time . I also wax mine with Mothers carnauba after every wash . Windshield height and some snug glasses will be a great help . I have an 8 inch Clearview now , but need to get a 9 1/2 soon . I put the lift kit on mine and the extra inch and a half should be just right .

Wax your windshield with whatever you wax your bike with. Rain will run off depending on the angle of the windshield around 40 mph. Get or cut down your windshield so you see over it or as mine is I look thru the top 2 inches. If I need to look over it when raining or dew covered from fog, I can squench up enough to look over it. If your pegs are forward this may be hard to do, then have your windshield shorter to look over it. Seeing is more important than wind protection.

I just asked the guy at the Honda dealer what to use. He said he uses Original Bike Spirits Spray Cleaner & Polish on his GW (available at the dealership). He said it works for the whole bike, but on the windshield water beads up. I bought some but haven't ridden in rain yet.

Our trike has the biggest windscreen made in Australia 3ftx2'7".

If you persist on looking through a windscreen you should mount a wiper as I have using a boat waterproof motor and one arm. Prior to the wiper I used rain ex to limited success and you have to persist with it- use it often.

Another issue with looking through the screen is mist on the inside and if you havent yet experienced this then you might when you ride in cold weather. That means a demister is needed. I'm lucky, in my case the radiator is under the windscreen and all I have to do is stop for a minute or so and the heat rises and clears it.

For what its worth I would either buy a smaller screen or cut the one you have down to just below your sight level.

Thanks again to all the great advice, I have ordered a 10 inch windshield to replace the 12 inch one I have now, I sat on a Tri-GLide that was on display with a 10 inch shield and what a difference, I could easily see over it, much rather be able to see and deal with a little more wind! Appreciate all your input..........I also found some wipes that Harley makes to repel, bugs, water, etc for the windshield.........will be handy for traveling.........

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png