Looking for comparison of two front vs two rear wheel trikes

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been covered, but I couldn't figure out what terms to search for in the forum. Can somebody tell me the differences between trikes with two wheels in the front versus trikes with two wheels in the rear?

I'm not looking for a brand or a model comparison, I just want to know what the change in design means for the rider and passenger.

Maybe someone could point me to an existing thread, or tell me what to search the forum for.

Thanks,

Re: Looking for comparison of two front vs two rear wheel trikes

Probably no simple answer. Comes down to preferences and model features. Of course, there is always the Quadracycle for those who cannot decide. :)

Check out the Can-Am Spyder forum on this site. There's a thread comparing the two types of machines there.

"Can AM's vs Goldwings and others"

I can only speak for the Stallion which is fun to operate and very stable. Here in central Florida, I have known and spoke to several Spider owners and for some reason, not one of them have kept the Spider for more than 6-8 months before switching to the 2 wheels in the rear. Don't really know why as the Spider is full of new technology and has a bullet proof motor, but it does take some getting use too to operate.

Tomg

tomg;I174614 said:
Here in central Florida, I have known and spoke to several Spider owners and for some reason, not one of them have kept the Spider for more than 6-8 months before switching to the 2 wheels in the rear. Don't really know why as the Spider is full of new technology and has a bullet proof motor, but it does take some getting use too to operate.

Tomg

I don't think the reason has to do with 2 wheels in front verses 2 in the rear. It is probably because of all the trouble that Spider owners are reporting about reliability, parts not available for over a month and high cost of maintenance.

My buddy got rid of his Spider because of the cost of maintenance

Having owned both, the two wheels in front (Spyder in my case), tracked straighter than my GW, which tends to want to follow the camber of the road. I could remove my hands from the Spyder's handlebars for much longer than I can the GW's. With power steering, the Spyder is very easy to steer, as is the GW. Actually there are many more reasons than number of front wheels that I prefer the GW to the Spyder, but that is off topic.

I don't think the reason has to do with 2 wheels in front verses 2 in the rear. It is probably because of all the trouble that Spider owners are reporting about reliability, parts not available for over a month and high cost of maintenance.

I agree with all of the same reasons, I had a spyder and I never knew where or when it would break down.$$$$$ And how long it would take to get parts.

I did read once that 98% of all spyders made are still on the road today'
The other 2% made it home.:D

If you goto SpyderLovers.com you'll get a ton of good information. While Spyders are expensive to maintain, they have some very loyal owners who knew the expense up front and just accept it. Some folks do bail out quickly, but there are a lot more who run them for many years and happy miles.

Two in the front or two in the rear It's best you ride and decide some things just have to be tried.

As with all motorcycles, the front wheel gives most of the braking so two front wheels will give more braking than two back wheels. Two wheels in the front will also track better. Most trike conversions have a motorcycle front tire prone to wobble and wear. Also a purpose built trike like the Spyder is designed with optimal centralized mass for better stability.

Early Spyders had reliability issues like early GL1800s (cracked frames, bad steering bearings, etc) that were eventually corrected. A poll of Spyder owners showed 82% had no major problems.

Two front wheels will be more comfortable unless you spend extra for an IRS conversion.

As with all motorcycles, the front wheel gives most of the braking so two front wheels will give more braking than two back wheels. Two wheels in the front will also track better. Most trike conversions have a motorcycle front tire prone to wobble and wear. Also a purpose built trike like the Spyder is designed with optimal centralized mass for better stability.

Early Spyders had reliability issues like early GL1800s (cracked frames, bad steering bearings, etc) that were eventually corrected. A poll of Spyder owners showed 82% had no major problems.

Two front wheels will be more comfortable unless you spend extra for an IRS conversion.

You make a lot of good sense and have brought up issues I never thought about. For the way I ride, I'll stick to the wing since it brakes and tracks adequate for me and I like the idea that from coast to coast there are many more dealers to take care of my needs if they should be needed. I'd also hate to give up all the torque and reliability of that 6 cyl. engine.

Hey there Blue. I'm kinda in that place where I'm still on 2 wheels, but getting ready for 3 sometime in the near future. So, I rented the Can Am Spyder just to try it out. Here's what I posted on another forum that I frequent....
3-Wheels in my future?.. Spyder RT - Pashnit Motorcycle Forum
I understand that Eagle Rider at the L.A. Airport rents a Honda Trike, so I'll be taking that one on a near-future trip up north just to try it out. Good luck.

Hey there Blue. I'm kinda in that place where I'm still on 2 wheels, but getting ready for 3 sometime in the near future. So, I rented the Can Am Spyder just to try it out. Here's what I posted on another forum that I frequent....
3-Wheels in my future?.. Spyder RT - Pashnit Motorcycle Forum
I understand that Eagle Rider at the L.A. Airport rents a Honda Trike, so I'll be taking that one on a near-future trip up north just to try it out. Good luck.

My wife would also not ride two wheels. She fell in love with our 2013 Spyder RT and convinced me to buy it. She has back trouble and finds the Spyder RT to be very comfortable. It does take 500 to 1000 miles before you are completely comfortable with the bike. Agree with most of what you said but we only sometimes get a buzz in the footpegs , none in the handlebars. Also in the powerband 4500 to 6500 rpm there is more than enough power for freeway riding. Although it is 998 cc it is running at higher rpm and almost the same horsepower as Goldwing 1800cc. Note some 600 cc sportsbikes generate up to 170 hp because of their high rpm. Its not just cc's that matter. BTW Rotax in now producing some BMW engines. After a while you get used to the higher rpms.

Well I bought a new 2012 Can Am Spyder RT Limited. It left me stranded twice in 200 miles, so the dealer gave me a replacement and it went into Limp mode in the first few hundred miles, it will go from 70MPG to 30MPH if it goes into limp mode. There were dozens of complaints with quality issues from riders everywhere. Here were some of the things I was told by other Spyder owners and the dealer. Don't fill it full of gas it might not start, never use anything except Ethanol fee, if you must be sure to have additive for the fuel to remove the Ethanol, always wind it to 4500 RPM's before changing gears or it will really create issues, take it to the dealer to change the oil because many other things have to be inspected, oil changes cost $400 at the dealer, dealers have no idea how to work on these things, low dealer network, many stay in shop for months due to dealers inability to repair, parts are an issue, lots of electrical problems, weird electrical issues common, alway's keep the battery on a battery charger, if it gets a little low it will cause a lot of issues, dealers cause a lot of problems during set up, technicians hate the Spyders, alignment issues, drive belt issues, not many accessories and the ones available are cheap home made ones and they are expensive.

The Spyder had Traction Control, ABS, Stability Control, just way too many computer controlled sensors, the slightest thing would cause a check engine light or limp mode or no start.

The Spyder cornered well but the gravitational force was way more than my Goldwing Viper. It was much less comfortable that the Goldwing, the passenger seating area is cramped compared to the Goldwing. The quality of the Spyder is very poor compared to the Goldwing. The Tupperware is flimsy cheap and plentiful on the Spyder, the rear Trunk is a deep black hole that you can't find anything in.

There must be some advantages to having two wheels up front but for me and for now I think it's just wrong!

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png