proper lean

I am new to Trikes, and was wondering re leaning when in a fast, sharp turn, to help counter-balance the feeling, imagined or real, that you and the trike are being thrown to the outside?

I lean, to the inside of the turn, in fast sharp turns, probably more out of habit than necessity, and sometimes even apply some extra pressure to the inside floorboard. There is a thread on turning you might want to give it a look see there is some great info there. It helped me when I was first trying to figure things out. http://www.triketalk.com/forum/honda-trikes/1065.htm

Ditto! ThumbUp

It's real hard to overcome the urge to lean but it is not necessary if you have the suspension setup to minimize body roll and can keep your body "mid-ship" allowing better control of the trike.

As mentioned putting increased pressure on the outboard foot helps keep you centered and setting up. Also gripping the inside leg/foot/knee against the side of the trike helps. I've found when I have my feet out on the highway pegs it's even easier.

Fine-tuning you technique for riding curves will make it even easier and much more enjoyable. If you haven't already, take a look at that thread SMSgt mentioned. There is a wealth of experience there.... Some of the ideas work for everyone some only for some riders. Choose what works and ENJOY !!

Maybe it's just me, But i drive my T/G like it's supposed to be driven' It's not a sportbike. I sit bolt upright in turns and use very little body english. I guess i got the burning the corners riding over with ten years ago on sportbikes, Thats why i ride Trikes, I want to smell the roses and not low side into them.:Shrug:

...I think it can be affected by the type of suspension you have. I find myself leaning toward the inside of a curve on my trike with IRS (which leans a bit more than a straight axle).
...With my trike that has the Lehman (no lean) straight axle...I find my self not leaning much because it doesn't lean....:Trike1:

Look as far through the corner as You can EVERY TIME...seriously...this will help get rid of the "I'm Leaning The Wrong Way" feeling that's common when You start riding Trikes. As suggested above, take some of the roll/lean out of the Trike...this does help also, but remember, as You take out roll, You lose "road feel"...You can reach a point in this adjustment that the Trike's roll is so much stiffer that it can lose road traction without You getting that "early warning feel".....ThumbUp

Maybe it's just me, But i drive my T/G like it's supposed to be driven' It's not a sportbike. I sit bolt upright in turns and use very little body english. I guess i got the burning the corners riding over with ten years ago on sportbikes, Thats why i ride Trikes, I want to smell the roses and not low side into them.:Shrug:

I find I am like rhino 2. Dont lean and try to drive sensibly.:vxtyaq:

I find I am like rhino 2. Dont lean and try to drive sensibly.:vxtyaq:

I'm a pretty conservative rider, and I still find myself leaning instinctively to the inside of a turn. It seems to counteract the sensation that the inside wheel is lifting in a curve.

To answer your question - It has to do with the experience of the rider. He must know his limitations. I always believe that safety comes first. You should learn the fundamentals of riding a trike first. That is so important. Once you have master them - then experience is the next thing. All turns are not the same. After riding for a while - experience will dictate what to do.

Just take it easy in the beginning. First get familiar with turns - then you can slowly try different things that will make you comfortable. Speed is a factor in most turns - dependent on the terrain. Personally - I take turns slow because I'm in no hurry - and I'm out to enjoy the ride. I can take turn fasts if I choose to - but I don't.

My advice is - learn to ride the trike - understand what the trike is capable of doing - and practice fundamentals maneuvers in turns. You may have to slow down in the beginning while you are learning. Eventually - you'll pickup your speed after awhile.

Ride safely and take it easy. You'll be alright after that.

To answer your question - It has to do with the experience of the rider. He must know his limitations. I always believe that safety comes first. You should learn the fundamentals of riding a trike first. That is so important. Once you have master them - then experience is the next thing. All turns are not the same. After riding for a while - experience will dictate what to do.

Just take it easy in the beginning. First get familiar with turns - then you can slowly try different things that will make you comfortable. Speed is a factor in most turns - dependent on the terrain. Personally - I take turns slow because I'm in no hurry - and I'm out to enjoy the ride. I can take turn fasts if I choose to - but I don't.

My advice is - learn to ride the trike - understand what the trike is capable of doing - and practice fundamentals maneuvers in turns. You may have to slow down in the beginning while you are learning. Eventually - you'll pickup your speed after awhile.

Ride safely and take it easy. You'll be alright after that.

ThumbUpThumbUpThumbUpThumbUp

VERY WELL SAID !!!!!!

Body weight and position will dictate center of gravity on your trike until the force overcomes it with too much inertia involved.

Learning to use your weight by leaning into a turn slightly, using your strength with both your arms and shoulders to push/pull to steer along with your legs to hug the frame and push down on your floorboards will help you control your trike in most situations.

One other thing that many dont consider is having to control your trike in a sudden stop situation. Its best to take the time to find a empty parking lot and practice stopping in a turn going both directions. This will give you a feel for how the trike responds and will give you the opportunity to learn this without having to deal with it in a real situation at the last second.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png