harley sportster trike

Jul 16, 2013
lake wales, fl. usa
I am about to but a 2008 sportster c with the 1200cc engine with 972 actual miles. this will be a triked out with a Frankenstein kit which she really likes. my question is does anybody out there have a 1200cc sportster that they triked and did they like the outcome? she is not a speed freak and will never abuse the bike , just wants a pure simple trike that looks cool and drives ok. we will install the e-zee steer kit for her to assist the steering, that's about all we plan on doing except installing a windshield. let me know how you feel this set up will work for her. PS. I have not bought the bike yet but will have to make it happen very soon or it will be gone as it is in like new condition.

We bought a 2006 1200 low sportster and triked with a frankenstien kit. It turned out great. My wife loves it.
lzski326-albums1115-7753.jpg

I prefer a Sportster 1.2 liter engine over a Tri-Glide. It's like a Camaro versus a Cadillac (let the flaming begin!) I use my trike for day-to-day errands, riding with friends to breakfast, etc.

HOWEVER, IMHO, it's not a long-distance bike ~ If I'm going to ride all day, I saddle-up on my Softail instead.

You mentioned the biggest fix ~ a 5° triple-tree is a "must." Depending on your wife stature, weight, grip strength, smaller but important improvements result in more modest changes:

* Sundowner seat (or similar, from a dozen venders) instead of the stock seat
* Muller Power Clutch (% Drag Specialties ~ I can pull the clutch lever, but my wife can't :Shrug:)
* front fork tube brace (SuperBrace.) You don't know how flexible 39mm forks are, until you have to TURN right or left, instead of leaning right or left.

Other things are nice-to-have, but not necessarily required:

* H-D Get-A-Grip™ handlebar grips ~ the rider will be turning corners (with a tiller) + turning the throttle at the same time.
* Another ECU ~ I installed a Power Commander 5, but the are lots of other choices out there.
* H-D digital speedometer / analog tachometer, with gear indicator / trip meter / fuel gauge / miles-to-empty / clock. Because there's NO reserve on the Sportster ~ the digital miles-to-empty give you lots of (repeating) warnings before the engine goes silent.
* A different gas cap, with detents to get the cap off if it's wet / dew-covered / your hand is glove-covered.

Just my 2¢

Last edited:
I've ridden (2) 1200 Sportster Frankensteins, and really liked Them Both. My Wife and I both think They're one of the Best Looking Trikes out there...Good Luck on Your Decision.....ThumbUp

thanks people, that is what I was hoping to hear and now we will go ahead and buy the sportster. my wife will probably not put 3000 miles on it in a year , but I am hoping she likes it enough to go riding with me a lot more than I think she will. but as the old saying goes, if Momma ain't happy I sure won't be. thanks again , captdan

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David Davis

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David Davis
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png