I have some Harley Trike questions

I live in Northern California and would like to try a Harley Trike. I looked into the Motorcycle Safety Foundation and they don't offer anything in my area. I also looked into renting one for the day and couldn't find that either. The next best thing would be a test drive. I really wanted to get the feel for the difference from a 2 wheeler to a trike. I have only been riding for a few years now. I'm 53 and have a back, leg and sciatic nerve problem. I figure a trike would be the best thing also the safest as well. Any suggestions?

My next question is do all trikes have reverse and if not do they have to push back or do you just park where you can pull forward? Are they to heavy to push?

More questions to come.

Thanks

Hi Bob, sorry to hear you couldn't find a dealer that rents close to ya. But, not all trikes have reverse. I'm sure all of the 2009 and up Harley Tri Glides do tho. I've parked mine weird before and have been to lazy to put it in reverse and had to push. Never been a prob, I have nerve damage in my feet too, they are slightly heaver feeling than a two wheeler but easy to push from a sitting position. I've even pushed it up an inclined driveway before.

Take that test drive , it'll help a lot.

The reverse in the MY 2009 was an option. They are not heavy to push. I generally park selectively even though I have reverse. When I get ready to go for a ride I push mine out of the garage and stand there and wait for my bride to show up.

agree, i push mine outside also. the main difference is the push-pull you have to do to steer the triglide. ,mainly slow down before you get into corners, ever after you've riden, this is good advise.
especially going off of & on-to a hwy exit. the 125* exits are the worst.
once you riden in a area, you will get confortable with the t/g . but when you venture into areas your not familular with, going around corners, need slower . speeds.
you might get a relative new ultra classic & put a frankenstein kit on it. thats what i'd do. & i have had good luck with my '09 t/g. or a 1800 cc. honda goldwing.
in your case, the freeways yould be the hardest to master. you always have people who are on cell-phones & don't look & they think the motorcycle will get out of their way.

Bob,
Safety school first! 3 wheel driving and handling is totally different from 2 wheels. Do a search for Saferider.com, I believe they are affiliated with Evergreen from the West coast. I'm in Central Florida and in a 40 mile radius, I can rent a HD Trike from at least 5 dealers. A test ride will not do much except scare you, I know. I have about 400 miles on TriGlides and still need to get more comfortable on my new 2014. I took the Trike school and love driving them after 30 years on 2 wheels. Wife won't go back.

Good luck and don't rush, you should be able to find a rental somewhere.

I would feel better if I was able to ride one for awhile. I really have no idea on how they ride differently then a 2 wheeler. I do think in the long run I will enjoy a trike just as much as a 2 wheeler.

Their night an day different than a 2 wheeler, you steer it instead of counter steer, you have to remember to not put your feet down and once you get used to it you won't be able to wipe the silly grin off your face.

I've been a year without a trike and its a year too long, I was going to wait a couple years before triking my 2012 Gl1800. Last year when I traded my 2010 Triglide on the Wing I figured I wouldn't miss it, I did and now I'm getting the Wing triked this coming week.

I built my own trike out of a 1989 Tour Glide ultra last year with a champion straight axle kit and raked triple tree.
I built mine for the highway and its a bit rough in town, and smooths right out on the highway.
I didn't put a reverse on it.
Its easy to push backwards. i also have a bad sciatic nerve in my leg. I also try to watch where i park of course.

There is a difference in riding a trike compared to a two wheeler.
I had never rode a trike before I bought my 2011 Tri Glide.
The first thing is you have to steer a trike rather than lean. It only took a couple of miles to start getting used to that. The main thing is take your time and get the feel of driving it and in a very short time it becomes as normal as riding your two wheeler was. The key is take your time and practice. In the beginning every ride is a learning experience.
When making a turn or taking a curve keep your front wheel in the center of the lane. By doing that your rear wheel will no drop off the edge of the road or clip a curb. You need to remember the rear end is wider than the front is so it takes a wider track. Also when pulling up to gas pumps, or pulling along side anything for that matter one needs to remember leave room for the rear to clear any objects, posts, islands, or anything that may be close.
In the beginning take curves slow and learn the limitations of the trike in the curves and again keep you front wheel in the center of the lane. Don't let it drift to the inside of the lane like many two wheel riders do.
I can ride the twisties and have no trouble at all keeping up with most people on two wheels unless they are really pushing it. I've even had some people on two wheels that don't keep up with me. The hard habit for me to break was not putting my feet down. After 40 years of riding two wheels that was a hard habit to break for me. Ten days after I got my trike I had a brain lapse and put my feet down. I ran over my own right foot with the right rear wheel and broke it in three places. But I will say after that it wasn't hard to remember to not put my feet down. So now I was sitting home off work for six weeks with my foot in a cast on those nice spring May days with nothing to do. So during those six weeks I put over 2,000 miles on my trike. It wasn't hard to do. I could step on the rear brake with my right foot in a cast and I didn't need to put my feet down. So by the time six weeks and over 2,000 had passed I pretty much had riding a trike figured out. Now 27 months and 21,000 miles later I'm as comfortable on my Tri Glide as I was on two wheels.
All trikes do not have reverse. In 2009 & 2010 reverse on the Tri Glide was a option. If I remember it was $1,195 extra to get the reverse. So there are 2009 & 2010 Tri Glides out there that do not have reverse on them because some wouldn't pay the extra to have it. Reverse became standard on the 2011 Tri Glides and up. As for as pushing the Tri Glide goes put it in neutral and push. It does roll ok but remember the Tri Glide weighs about 1,200 LB's. About 300 LB's heaver than an two wheeled Ultra.
I've seen people buy a trike and then sell it in a very short time because they say they just can't get used to it. Someone who has the mind set that they can't get used to riding a trike never will. If one keeps an open mind and can accept the differences will grasp riding a trike fairly quick and be just fine.
I love mine. Heck, You don't need to put your feet down. You don't need to balance it. Just enjoy the ride. Also if the wife shifts around a bit on the back it don't send the trike off to the side like it does on two wheels.
Sorry for being so long winded but just putting some info out here.
Dan

Suggestion take a test ride first. The dealer will make sure you look at a film to get familiar. Then look for a dealer that rents one to get a longer feel. Last take a safety course for trikes. You still have to get 400 to 500 miles under your saddle to feel comfortable. After comfortable then you really start to learn. Good luck

Thanks Dan. Not long winded at all. I enjoy all of the information I can get. I have only been riding for a few years so switching to a trike may not be as difficult for me as some that have been riding 2 wheelers for decades. I'm sold on having a trike with a reverse option and I can't wait to try one. Also, I won't put my feet to the ground, I have enough problems as it is.

Thanks Geezer. I'll have more questions for sure. I met a fella on here named Peter that lives not to far from me. He gave me his phone number and I think I can call him and pick his brain as well. I really enjoy this site.

I live in Northern California and would like to try a Harley Trike. ... I also looked into renting one for the day and couldn't find that either. The next best thing would be a test drive. I really wanted to get the feel for the difference from a 2 wheeler to a trike. .... I figure a trike would be the best thing also the safest as well. Any suggestions?

I don't know how much help this might be (being a couple of hours away from you), but I understand that Folsom Harley has a trike available for rent. Also, Freedom Rides in Lincoln builds and sells trikes, and is an excellent source of info.

Riding a trike is definitely not the same as riding a bike. Not better or worse, just different. But from personal experience, I can assure you that heading south on Highway 93 out of Wikieup in Arizona on a crisp spring morning, the sights and smells of the fresh blooms in the desert are exactly the same! :)

Safer? Hard to tip one over. ;)

My wife and I enjoy our trike immensely. Takes a little practice, like anything else...

Hope this helps.

Their night an day different than a 2 wheeler, you steer it instead of counter steer, you have to remember to not put your feet down and once you get used to it you won't be able to wipe the silly grin off your face.

I've been a year without a trike and its a year too long, I was going to wait a couple years before triking my 2012 Gl1800. Last year when I traded my 2010 Triglide on the Wing I figured I wouldn't miss it, I did and now I'm getting the Wing triked this coming week.[/QUOTE

What kit and dealer are you using...?????

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png